Chapter 26

"So," Lorelai said as the three girls walked to Luke's, "you need to be making your final decision for college about now, right?"

Rory and Liv looked at each other, "yeah. Next week," Rory told her.

"And those decisions are?" Lorelai asked.

"Yale," Rory said, at the same time Liv said, "Harvard."

Lorelai raised her eyebrows, "wow. You're gonna be far from each other."

"But we can meet here, in the middle," Rory said.

"Well, one of you is making your grandparents proud," Lorelai smirked.

"Just following in your footsteps, mother," Liv grinned, bowing slightly.

"I'm proud of you both," Lorelai smiled, genuinely, "what course did you decide on, Liv?"

"Business, but one that I can study communicating with foreign businesses, too," Liv smiled, "no need to ask this one which one she chose."

"Journalism. Wasn't sure if you already knew," Rory said, sarcastically.

"No way," Lorelai deadpanned, "by the way, we have Friday night dinner this week."

"Actually mom, can I sit this one out?" Liv asked, nervously.

"Why?"

"Well, I have just spent an entire month with them, and I kind of had cabin fever while I was there that I'm only really just getting over. And there's also the fact that grandma thinks I'm a huge disappointment because I told her about going to Harvard and not Yale like they wanted me to," Liv said, quickly, chuckling nervously at the end.

"That's fair enough," Rory nodded.

"What do you say, Ror? Do we let her off or make her suffer? Just think - I wouldn't be the biggest disappointment for once!" Lorelai pointed out.

They pretended to think about it before Lorelai nodded, "you can stay."

"Oh thank god," Liv sighed as they walked into the diner, "I honestly thought you were gonna make me go."

"I'm not that mean," Lorelai said.

"I disagree," Rory said, "remember when you made us watch It when we were 6 and Liv developed a phobia of clowns so you thought it would be funny to take us to the circus the day after? That was pretty mean."

"Borderline abusive, you mean," Liv narrowed her eyes.

"But just think of all the nice things I've done since. Like not making you go to your grandparents this evening. Aren't I nice?" Lorelai smiled, batting her eyelids.

"I think you're very nice, Lorelai," Kirk said from behind her, making her jump.

"Oh! Thanks, Kirk," Lorelai said.

"In fact, Lorelai, we've been friends for a really long time now," Kirk said, and Rory and Liv raised their eyebrows at each other.

"Yes, Kirk, we have been friends for a while," Lorelai said, slowly.

"Maybe it's time we became more than friends," Kirk said, seriously.

Luke heard this from the counter, and his head snapped in their direction, an amused look on his face,

"You mean, like, best friends?" Lorelai said, nervously.

Liv leaned forwards, "I think he means girlfriend."

Lorelai turned to her and smiled sarcastically, "thanks for that, Olivia."

"No problem."

"I'm really nervous so I'll just cut to the chase - would you like to go on a date with me?"

Everyone in the diner turned to them, and Rory spat out the coffee that Jess had brought over for them minutes ago.

"Wow, Kirk, erm. I'm flattered, honestly, but the thing is, and I thought you knew this, because, well, I thought it was public knowledge, but I'm dating Luke," Lorelai told him.

Kirk stood up, "oh, I'm sorry."

He walked out and everyone went back to their own business.

"What just happened?" Lorelai asked, turning back to their table.

"Kirk just asked you out," Liv said, nonchalantly.

Jess pulled a chair round and sat next to her, "you mean she brutally crushed Kirk's heart into basically nothing."

Lorelai glared at him, "thanks, Jess. Wait, isn't he with Lulu?"

"Mom, this is Kirk we're talking about. Who even knows anymore?" Rory said.

"Maybe he wants you both?" Jess suggested, and Liv slapped his arm.

"Aren't you meant to be working?" Lorelai snapped.

"Wow, calm down. And it's my break, actually, so you have 15 more minutes of my presence," Jess said.

"Oh, aren't I lucky," Lorelai grumbled.

"We were just talking about college," Liv told him.

"Oh yeah? Did you decide where you're going?" Jess asked.

"Harvard," she said, smiling.

"Of course," Jess nodded, "why wouldn't you wanna be closer to me."

"Jess you're being awfully annoying and making me really want to slap you today," Lorelai grumbled at him.

Jess placed a hand over his heart, "I'm in a good mood, is that so bad?"

"Why? What's got you so happy?" Liv asked.

"Well, I hadn't actually told you this because I didn't think I'd get in, but the community college have allowed me to do their English Lit course," Jess said, almost shyly.

Liv grinned, "Jess! Why didn't you tell me this? Wait, you didn't pass high school though?"

"No, so I have to do some classes before, but I have a place," Jess said.

Liv wrapped her arms around him, "I'm so proud of you!"

"Yeah, well done Jess," Rory smiled.

"I suppose that can excuse your annoying mood today," Lorelai smiled slightly.

"So, I was thinking we could go out tonight, to celebrate," Jess suggested.

"Well, mom said I don't have to go to the grandparents, so yeah, that could work," Liv nodded.

"Great. I'll get you at 6," Jess said, kissing her forehead, before walking upstairs.

That evening, Rory and Lorelai arrived alone at the Gilmore's at 6:30, greeted by the new maid. They walked through to the front room, where Emily and Richard were sat.

"Hello, girls," Richard greeted them, "how was your trip?"

"It was amazing, thanks," Lorelai smiled, "I hope Liv wasn't too rowdy."

"She was the perfect guest," Richard smiled.

"Oh yes, especially when her hooligan boyfriend broke into our home," Emily said.

"Emily, that was one time because he knew that you would have not let him see her," Richard sighed.

"And the way he spoke to us when we had dinner with him —"

"Was perfectly politely and only you had a problem with him."

"And then she decides to go to Harvard even though she knows she'll be better at Yale —"

"Which is her decision and we're proud of her."

Lorelai watched as her parents stared at each other, almost daring one another to talk again.

"I guess it's a good job she didn't come tonight," Rory whispered.

Woah, I updated this AND Who's Crazier in the same day! Go me! As I said on the update on the other story, I get notifications every day of votes and adds of my stories, but if you could let me know on here that there's still proper interest in my stories, it would be much appreciated! Xoxo