Chapter 34

Liv walked to her grandparents' front door and knocked gently. The past week had been more of the same of that one before — no word from Jess despite Luke's efforts to get him to call. And now she was home for the weekend, starting with dinner with the Gilmores.

Today's maid answered the door and Liv gave her her coat, wandering to the room where they usually sat. Rory, Lorelai, Emily and Richard all sat there waiting for her.

"Liv!" Rory grinned, hugging her.

"I missed you, Rory," Liv smiled, hugging her back.

"You're even prettier than when I last saw you," Lorelai commented, hugging her too.

"Thanks, mom," she smiled.

Liv walked to her grandfather and hugged him, "good to see you, Olivia."

"You too," she grinned.

Emily stood up and stepped back slightly, "you look well."

Liv stood uncomfortably, "thanks, grandma. It's good to see you."

"And you," Emily said.

"So," Richard said, breaking the silence, "how's Harvard?"

"It's great," Liv said, walking to the drinks table, "classes are going really well, and I've made friends."

"That's wonderful to hear," Richard grinned.

"Rory," Emily began, "how's Yale?"

"You've already asked her this, mom," Lorelai said, sipping her drink.

"It just sounds like Rory's having a wonderful time there," Emily defended herself.

"And Liv's having a wonderful time at Harvard," Lorelai said.

"She hasn't really conveyed that to us, though," Emily said.

"Because you haven't asked her, only Dad has," Lorelai said, "I understand that you disagree with Liv going to Harvard, but if I'm correct, when Rory wanted to go to Harvard you were completely supportive. And dad's not disappointed in her and he's the one who went to Yale."

Emily regarded her for a second as the others sat in an awkward silence.

"Shall we move to the dining room?" Emily said, standing up and walking out.

Lorelai stood up quickly, following her. Liv and Rory went to stand up, too, but Richard raised a hand.

"Give them a minute."

"You don't get to ignore me, mom," Lorelai said, "tell me. What makes Liv any different?"

"She's like you," Emily said, loudly.

"So is Rory," Lorelai said in disbelief.

"She is, but not like Olivia is," Emily said, "Rory makes level headed, reasoned decisions. Olivia dates hooligans and goes to schools she knows we won't approve of."

"You're literally the only person who doesn't approve of her going to Harvard. And Jess isn't a hooligan, just a troubled kid who is trying to get on the right path, yet it's people like you who stop that," Lorelai said, "now, she is as much your granddaughter as Rory is. And yes, Rory is more sensible than the two of us but that makes literally no difference. So get over yourself and treat her like she your granddaughter and not just another, indispensable maid."

Emily looked at her for a second, before walking to the dining room door. She opened it and looked at the other three.

"You can come in now."