Chapter 13

It was the day after Rory had left for Washington, and Lorelai and Liv were walking to Luke's.

"And then I go into this room and Marilyn Monroe is sat there, in a tracksuit and is frowning at my feet, so I look down and BAM there are a pair of duck slippers on me!" Lorelai explained.

"Were they comfy?" Liv asked.

"I don't remember the exact feel, but I think dream me approved of the comfort," Lorelai shrugged, "anyway, so I run out of this room, humiliated, and I run straight into Pete from Fall Out Boy, who, coincidentally, is wearing Marilyn's dress!" Lorelai exclaimed.

"You need help," Liv smirked.

"I think I'll settle for a danish from Luke's instead," Lorelai shrugged.

Liv stopped, "why don't you go in? Get me a donut and a coffee?"

"Why don't you go in and get a danish and a coffee?" Lorelai asked.

"Because Jess is in there," Liv muttered.

"Jess lives there," Lorelai nodded.

"Exactly. I can't see him right now," Liv insisted.

"Why not?" Lorelai asked.

"Because I kissed him at Sookie and Jackson's wedding," Liv whispered, loudly.

"Well, he is your boyfriend," Lorelai said.

"Not after we kissed," Liv said, "I ended it 'cause he left me."

Lorelai opened her mouth to speak but stopped abruptly, "you know, I don't think he's in there."

"What? Why?" Liv asked, confused.

"Just a hunch," Lorelai shrugged, glancing momentarily behind Liv.

"Why do you keep looking over there?" Liv asked, turning to look behind.

"Oh," Liv said, looking at what her mom had spotted.

Jess was pressed up against a tree, a blonde girl practically eating his face.

"Let's go in," Liv said, tearing her eyes away.

—————————————————

Luke locked the door to the diner, and stormed up the stairs, where Jess was sat on his bed, reading.

"What the hell are you doing?" Luke asked.

Jess peered up from his book, "something called reading."

"I mean with Liv," Luke rolled his eyes.

"I'm doing nothing with Liv," Jess shrugged.

"You know she came in and was crying over you earlier," Luke accused.

Liv and Lorelai walked into the diner, Liv biting her lip and urging herself desperately not to look back.

"Hey, girls. What can I get you today?" Luke asked.

"I'll have a danish," Lorelai smiled, as she sat down, "and a coffee."

"What about a tea?" Luke tried.

"Luke, if you don't want me to buy the coffee, why do you sell it in the first place?" Lorelai asked, falsely innocent.

Luke looked at her for a moment, before turning to Liv, whose eyes were red and watery.

"Livvy? You ok?" Luke asked.

She shook her head, and he looked at Lorelai who mouthed "Jess".

Luke glanced out the window and nodded.