Chapter 17

Christmas was nearing. Stress was mounting.

Lorelai hurried into Luke's with dozens of bags, and sat at the table where her daughters were sipping coffee.

"I hate shopping. For other people, I mean. You never know what to get them. Do you go for a book or a cd or clothing or a lamp? What do they even want?" Lorelai rambled, "ooo, coffee," she added, stealing Liv's.

"Hey!" She pouted, "anyway, what are you going on about?"

"Shopping for Christmas presents for my parents. I don't know what to buy them. What did you get them?" Lorelai asked.

"Chuck Berry: Live at the Symphony Hall," Rory answered.

"That's for Grandpa. For Grandma we got her a new blazer thing she wears, with the shoulder pad things and the fiddly buttons," Liv added.

"How did you know what to get them?" Lorelai gaped.

"We asked them," Liv shrugged, "what've you bought?"

"For mom, I got either a vase..." Lorelai pulled out a hideous blue vase with green spots and yellow stripes.

"Ouch!" Liv laughed.

"Lorelai, you're gonna scare away the customers," Jess joked, filling up the cups.

"I've heard vases make excellent murder weapons," Lorelai smiled, sweetly.

"Babe, your mom's scary," Jess said, walking away.

"What else did you get?" Rory asked.

"Alright, for Dad I got...a bow tie," Lorelai announced.

Liv buried her head in her hands and tried not to laugh at the fact the tie was the exact pattern as the vase.

"Mom, these are your parents. You're supposed to actually like them," Rory said, grinning.

"I don't know what to get them!" Lorelai huffed.

"Grandpa and grandma gave me some more suggestions. I can go and buy some things for you if you want?" Rory offered.

"That would be great," Lorelai smiled, handing her some money.

"So mom," Liv began once Rory had left.

"Yes, Olivia?" Lorelai said, dramatically.

"I was thinking I should probably invite Jess to this Christmas party at the Gilmores," Liv said.

"Good. I think Mom actually likes him," Lorelai nodded.

"I think you should take Luke," Liv blurted.

"Huh? He's with that Nicole person," Lorelai waved her suggestion away.

"Didn't you hear? They're last months news. She's long gone," Liv said.

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I just think you should ask Luke to come with us," Liv said.

"Ask me to come with you where?" Luke grumbled from behind.

"Uh..." Lorelai mumbled.

"To Grandma and Grandpa's Christmas party," Liv answered.

"Ha, you'll have to fill me in on that one," Jess teased him.

"You're coming too," Liv told him.

"What?"

"Grandma and Grandpa clearly like you more than me," Liv shrugged, "and Luke, you're coming."

"We could be busy," Luke tried.

"What could you possibly be doing on a Saturday night? Wait, I forgot you two went clubbing at Miss Patty's," she mocked.