Chapter 31

It was Friday and still no word from Jess. Liv sat on her bed with Queen's album A Night At The Opera blasting through her CD player, doing an assignment due in from Monday. Hayley knocked on the door and she sat in the unoccupied chair by her desk.

"What's the point in you having this thing if you're not gonna use it?" Hayley asked, gesturing to the desk.

"I do use it," Liv said.

"To store your shit on," Hayley pointed out.

"Exactly, so I do use it, just not for its typical purpose," Liv defended.

"Have you heard from Jess yet?" Hayley asked.

"No."

"Why don't you try —" Hayley began.

Liv leaned forward and turned up her CD.

Hayley sighed, "listen to me."

"I'll listen to you once Roger has stopped singing," she told her, beginning to hum along to I'm In Love With My Car.

Hayley stood up and unplugged her stereo. Liv stared up at her, looking offended, with her mouth open.

"You can listen afterwards."

"Roger Taylor is the only man I'm not angry at right now and you want to take that away from me?" Liv pouted.

"I don't even know who he is," Hayley rolled her eyes, "but you need to listen to me."

"Fine," Liv said, crossing her arms.

"Have you tried asking your mom about him?" Hayley asked.

"Yeah, but she said that she never sees him. Apparently when she goes to Luke's he's never there or asleep," Liv shrugged.

"Have you spoken to Luke?" She tried.

"Yes, just not about him," Liv admitted.

"Talk to him about him," Hayley said, "now."

Liv rolled her eyes, "fine. I'll call the diner now."

Hayley sat there, looking at her expectedly.

"You're staying?" Liv asked.

"I'm making sure you actually do it," Hayley smiled.

"For God's sake," Liv groaned, "fine!"

She pulled her phone out and dialled the number for the diner.

"Luke's Diner," a voice answered.

Liv covered the microphone and looked at Hayley, "it's him," she mouthed.

Hayley's eyes widened, "talk to him," she mouthed back.

Liv cleared her throat, "it's me."

"Oh, Liv," Jess said.

"You could at least try and sound happy to hear from me," Liv snapped.

"Look, I have to go. Luke would kill me if he knew I was taking private calls on the diner phone," Jess said.

"And once I explain that you're ignoring my calls and this was the only way I could get you to talk to me," Liv said, sweetly, "although, he's probably kill you for ignoring me, too."

Jess sighed, "I've already had my break, I can't talk."

"Jess, who's on the phone?" She heard Luke ask.

"Put him on to me," Liv said, loudly in the hope that Luke would hear her through the speaker.

"Fine," I heard Luke grab the phone.