Chapter 36

"Are you coming back for the festival of living art?" Rory asked through the phone.

"Definitely not," Liv chuckled, "so that Taylor can make me dress up as a bloody witch again? No way. Anyway, I'm going with Jess to view an apartment in Boston."

The past month, Jess had spent most of his time working at the diner and at Walmart, saving up to move to Boston. Luke had been sceptical when he'd told him his plans, but Jess was insistent and, well, proved him wrong.

"Anyway, you, how was your date?" Liv asked, leaving her dorm room.

"Not going to work," Rory said.

"Maybe you should've gone to Dean's wedding," Liv said.

"What? Why?" Rory asked.

"Because maybe you could've met someone there instead," Liv said.

"Funnily enough, I didn't fancy hooking up with someone at my ex-boyfriend's wedding," Rory said.

"You're no fun," Liv teased her, locking the door to her room while holding the phone between her shoulder and ear, "anyway, I'm going to meet Jess now. Enjoy the festival."

"I'm sure I will," Rory chuckled, "bye, Liv."

Liv put her phone in her bag and walked to the car park, where she saw Jess waiting for her in his car. She jumped in and kissed him quickly, putting her seatbelt on.

"Hey," he smiled at her.

"Hi. So, this apartment," Liv said.

Jess grimaced, "don't get too excited. It's the only one I can afford. I'm not getting my hopes up for it."

"But my hopes are up and I am excited," Liv whined.

"Well get them down and stop being excited," Jess told her, driving out of the car park.

Liv scowled and sat back in her seat, enjoying the short drive in silence. They pulled up outside the old looking building, and Liv exhaled loudly.

"Home sweet home," she teased him, "oh look. There's our lovely realtor ready to show us your new home."

"Oh joy," Jess drawled.

Liv looked at him pointedly, "be nice."

"Aren't I always?" Jess smiled with an eye roll.

They got out of the car and walked to the man in a pin striped suit, holding a clipboard and pen and a clearly forced grin on his face.

"You must be Mr and Mrs Mariano," he greeted them.

"Actually —" Jess began.

"Yes, yes that's us," Liv smiled, looping her arm with Jess', "we're shopping for our first home, you see."

The realtor's face dropped a little, before plastering the grin back on, "well, this is a lovely first home for any couple. If you'll follow me."

As they walked in, Liv winked at Jess and he leant into her, whispering, "you're just like your mom."

They stepped into the apartment and listened to the realtor ramble on. It was small, with a joint lounge and kitchen and two doors next to each other on the left wall leading to the bathroom and bedroom.

"I'll leave you two to look around," he said, exiting the flat.

Liv walked into the middle of the room, shrugging.

"I told you not to get too excited," Jess said.

"It's not awful. It's perfectly fine for a first apartment," Liv shrugged, "you could really make this place your own."

"You think?" He asked, raising his eyebrows, "thought you'd be disappointed."

"Love, I spent the first years of my life living in a shed. This is like the Taj Mahal compared to that," Liv laughed.

"It's not too bad, is it?" Jess said, peering into the bathroom.

"Not at all. And if you can afford it, that's all that matters," Liv said.

"I can afford it. My manager said that he'd relocate me to the Walmart nearby, but I might look at some other places," Jess told her.

Liv wrapped her arms around his waist, locking her eyes with his, "as long as you're happy, that's all that matters."

"I'll be happy here, I think. As long as you spend as much time as you can with me."

Liv grinned, "of course I will," she leant back and scanned the room again, "go and say yes."

Jess grinned at her, and then let the realtor know they were done. After signing a few things, Jess and Liv got back in the car and drove back to her dorm.

They pulled up outside, and Jess gently turned Liv's head towards him and kissed her, slowly.

When they pulled back, Liv smiled at him.

"What was that for?" She whispered.

Jess shrugged slightly, his hand still on her cheek, "I love you."

"I love you too," Liv grinned, "do you wanna come in? Hayley's probably out."

Jess pulled back properly, "actually babe, I'm gonna head back. I want to start packing and spend some time with Luke before I leave."

Liv nodded, "I understand. I'll see you soon?"

"I'll let you know when I move," Jess told her.

"Good. Drive safe," she said, kissing his cheek before jumping out the car. Liv made her way to her room, noticing Hayley was, indeed, out. Settling on the sofa with a blanket, she grabbed a book and sat reading.

Her phone rang a short while later, and she saw it was Rory. Confused, she answered, "Ror? Hello?"

"Hey, Liv!" She said, out of breathe, "sorry, I just thought I'd tell you: Sookie had the baby!"

Liv shot up and gasped, "oh my gosh! Tell her I send my love."

"I will, her and Jackson have just gone home so I thought I'd call you," she said.

"Thanks, Ror. I can't believe I missed it," Liv sighed.

"That's not the only thing you missed," Rory chuckled.

"Ooo tell me!"

"I'll call you back when I get home. I'm just leaving Luke's now so give me 10 minutes," she told her.

"I patiently anticipate your call back," Liv said, hanging up and getting comfy on the sofa again.

So sorry it's short! We've just gone back to school and it's absolutely draining me (and it was my birthday earlier this week - finally an adult!), I'll try updating as much as I can. Hope everyone's okay xoxo