6

~6~

~6~

            The rest of the drive to town the guys talked about random things and I eventually fizzed out of the conversation. I chose to listen and keep my eyes on the road, hoping to see the nearest town or at least more cars.

I hadn't seen any yet, but when you see one that could only mean that civilization would be nearby.

When I spotted a red suburban car heading our way and pass us, relief washed over me. I wouldn't have to be in this car with them for any longer, and that car reassured me of this.

"Will we be stopping for breakfast?" I ask out of the blue, "Sam mentioned we might."

Colby shook his head, "We're skipping breakfast actually, have a business to take care of ." He replied. "We'll get dinner after though."

Well perfect, I would go without food for the rest of the day. "Oh."

"Why, hungry?" He asked, to which I shook my head.

"Nope. All good, just wondering." I lied with sorrowful eyes. All the other guys knew I hadn't yesterday, and with this new information, I could feel their moods shift with pity. They weren't allowed to pity me, they're the reason I'm in this predicament in the first place.

I have gone without meals before, but it had been awhile. It was a habit I tried hard to break for the sake of my own health. Growing up in an orphanage, you tend to want to be alone most of the time. Being alone was better than facing the things you weren't prepared to face. I skipped breakfast, lunch, and dinner, only getting food in the middle of the night when everyone including the other kids were asleep. Eating was one of the only things I felt like I was in control of in my life of uncertainty. But, eventually, I noticed myself getting skinnier, and not the good kind, so I forced myself to go and enjoy the meals.

It was rough, and I couldn't keep the food down a lot of the time, but eventually, I got into normal and healthy eating habits.

The hunger pit in my stomach was something I had gotten used to, and even though it's been years since that time of my life, I still didn't find the hunger all that bother. It just made me very tired and weak.

I let out a yawn, my sleepless night catching up to me entirely. I ignored it though. Anxiety was still rushing through my body and I didn't feel safe sleeping in their presence. I'd rather be away from them if I were to take a snooze.

"Tired?" Colby asked. He seemed to be keeping a close eye on me.

"N-Nope." I shook my head, "Just cleared my throat."

He didn't believe me, and was vocal about it, "For being sneaky, you defiantly aren't a good liar." He let out a soft breathy laugh, even though his facial expression didn't exactly change "Did you not sleep well on the cot?" He asked.