45

~45~

~45~

            My eyes adjusted to the dim lighting when they opened, scanning the ceiling and noticing the different color. I was in Colby's room. I gulped, then looked over to see him gone, the covers pulled away, and an increase in the mattress to replace his body. The drawer of his nightstand was open and I noticed a picture sitting next to the lit-up lamp. Then I saw the door to his room was open and I knew he had left (the house or just the room I wasn't sure)

I sat up, keeping the covers close to protect me from the freezing cold room. My arm extended out and grabbed the picture, keeping it close to the lamp so I could see it in the light.

It was Colby and Ana, I didn't even have to think about it.

Colby looked younger, he was 18 so I guess 6 years does cause for a bit of change. But he looked happy, really happy. His eyes sparkled with that familiar light they I've seen a few times in him. His smile was just as bright, showing off his pearly white teeth that shoot out against his dark clothing. I smiled, at least his style hasn't changed.

Next to him, with her lips pressed to his cheek and eyes on the camera, a girl I could only guess was Ana lee stood hugging him. Her golden hair reflecting light, and I swore for a second she was an angel. She had a natural
completion, freckles like a cherry on top. I could see why Colby liked her, she was very beautiful. But based on the smile on his face I knew the relationship went further than looks.

I decided to go look for him, make sure he was okay after today's craziness.

With the picture in hand, I stood up from the unfamiliar, but very comfy, bed and looked down at myself. I didn't want to risk anything in only wearing a bra and underwear so I grabbed one of Colby's random shirts and slipped it over my body, including some sweatpants I found in his drawers. They were way too big on me, but it was fine. I wasn't trying to impress anyone, not that I ever do.

I crept out of the room, hurrying down the hallway because of its dark lighting. But I saw a light downstairs so I felt better when I got to the stairs. I tiptoed down, scanning my eyes around the quiet house. A rare sound. There was no one, so I continued down, slowly.

I followed the light, slowly and quietly making my way through the lightly lit up rooms. It was calm throughout the house, a slight chill in the air that made me hug Colby's shirt tighter. It smelled like him, like his cologne. A sweet but masculine scent that made me feel warm against the chill. My bare feet against the cold tile made me wish I had socks on, and my probably messy hair made me wish I had grabbed a hair tie.

It felt like such a normal night, like I hadn't witnessed Colby cry into my arms and admit his past to me only hours earlier. Of course, it was late and I was looking for him throughout the first floor of the house, but the atmosphere felt normal. I felt normal. Like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Maybe it's because I know everything now and I don't have to bear the thought of him lying or keeping things from him. Something I've come to hate.