37

~37~*warning: Romantic*

~37~
*warning: Romantic*

We had been walking for a while. Both Colby and I not daring to say a word. The banquet had gone downhill the second I decided to wander off when the guys went to talk to that Joshua guy. From there I learned something about Colby I probably shouldn't know, and I had to go through yet another suspenseful tragedy.

My heart broke for Lucy. Her husband's death was so sudden and unexpected. She didn't expect it, nobody did. And worst, she wasn't truly able to react. Even after we were safe she kept a brave face on and faced the police. I don't know what happened after that, since we left almost immediately. But even now we walked in solemn silence.

"We should be going. Don't want to get caught up with the police." Colby had told me, right before we fled and right after Lucy walked away. I didn't want to go just yet. I wanted to make sure she was alright. But I knew it was best if we left.

Maybe I'll see her again one day. Check up on her, see how she's doing. Make sure she's okay. I'll have Colby send my respects for the funeral if there was one. I didn't know her or her husband enough to attend it, but she should know that I was sorry. Even if it wasn't my fault.

The familiar adrenaline from so many times before soon faded as we now walked down the streets of the town. It wasn't very late, but it was late enough for both Colby and I to be exhausted. With my ripped dress, messy hair, and barefoot feet, I quietly walked alongside Colby. He looked a bit more put together than I did. Hair a little messy, skin cooled from the night breeze, and bow tie undone so it just hung around his neck. He had given me his jacket to cover up against the cold, which left him in only his white button-up shirt.

We stayed silent, both in our heads.

What he was thinking was a mystery to me, but I didn't want either of us to be gloomy from the night.

I forced a small smile onto my face and nudged his side lightly, causing his head to curiously look at me.

"What?" he asked, getting the hint I wanted to talk. And by the small smile that he now carried I knew he was interested to see what I had to say.

"You know... the last time you and I faced an intense situation like this, I told you I'd hit you in the balls if you put me through it again." I remind him. His brow twitched up humorously.

"Wow, okay. Do you.. Do you still want to?" He seemed hesitant to ask. I wasn't, but I thought it was the best way to lift our spirits by mentioning it.

Shaking my bowed head I replied, "No. This thing didn't involve us, so you get a pass. But, I won't hesitate to do it next time." I point a finger at his chest and he laughed, shaking his head. I couldn't express how much I loved his genuine laugh. And I usually only heard it when he and I were alone, which made it a little more special.