36

~36~Colby

~36~
Colby

I watched as Livia walked off in a hurry. Yes, I was upset she had wandered off when she told me she wasn't, but I don't think I sounded angry? I wasn't going to get upset with her either way. I understand she probably got bored and just wanted to look around a little. And Lucy Moon isn't the worst person she could have been talking to. So there was no reason for her to be nervous?

"Is she okay?" I decided to ask Lucy, seeing as she was the last to talk to her.

Lucy nodded, "Yes, we were just chatting about a rather.. Upsetting tale from one of the exhibits. She got a little emotional I guess." she explained, "Now, what can I do for you?"

Right, I had things to ask her.

"I hear you have been close business partners with the Millers, the family that owns the trading post that transports smuggled items into our country?" she nods knowingly, aware of their illegal trade. Most people did, it's a big scandal but people, even the authorities, are too chicken to deal with it.

"Yes, I do some business with them."

"Okay, and I was wondering if you had recently spoken to them at all."

It had actually been a while since I had even heard from them, at least before the party, and I needed to figure out if they were planning anything. They always attacked at random times, always getting the element of surprise, and for once I wanted to be a step ahead of them. I was tired of them always getting the upper hand and putting us at a disadvantage.

Maybe it's because Livia is always with us so that puts her more at risk. And yes I have trained her to defend herself, almost every day, but her life wasn't one I am willing to risk. I never want to put her in a situation like the ones I have before. Where she is in danger.

She didn't choose to be here, she doesn't need to be a part of anything we do so it's best I keep her as far away from it as possible.

I brought her here not for the banquet, but for a different reason. A rather.. Strange one. I'd get to that later. Now, I was worried about the Millers.

Lucy thought for a moment, "No, I'm sorry. I haven't talked to her in a while if I'm being honest. She tends to be quite private in terms of herself. But her shipping company is very much thriving now. Brand new ships almost every day along with new imports. She's a fan of buying I guess."

Mrs.Miller. I had heard rumors of her husband's passing, but I was never sure for sure. Maybe it was grief for the loss of her daughter. She had mentioned he's always had health problems. Maybe her death just.. pushed him over the edge. Understandable, it almost did the same for me.

But unfortunate for me, the woman who hated me the most had to be the one to live. Now I have a constant reminder of what had happened and how I was the reason for it.