3

~3~

~3~

            I'm pretty sure I'm lost.

After following the 3 guys to their destination, we ended up in Yellowwood State Forest. Beautiful place, especially during the day- so I'm lucky I decided to become an investigator during the morning rather than at night. That's the only good decision I've made thus far.

The things listed under my bad decisions would be taking a key from possible criminals, not contacting the authorities or my guardians about the situation, and lastly- following the criminals to a forest where they could be hiding a dead body. Okay, that may be extreme, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now I mentioned I was lost, and I'm not lying. Almost as soon as we arrived at Yellowwood, they disappeared. And it's not like I saw them go a certain way. They were still driving the car through the jumble of trees while I was still on my bike trying to figure out how to get it over a ledge. When I finally accomplished that small task, they were gone. I decided to just walk the rest of the way, as to not make too much noise. It wasn't that big a place and wasn't that much of an attraction for the nearby civilians. Because of this, I wouldn't see why they needed to be deep in the forest.

So here I am, wandering through the woods with my yellow bike by my side. I have a general idea of which way they had gone, so I followed that and hoped for the best.

"This is so stupid, why am I even here," I whispered to myself, no speaking to anyone in particular. Talking to myself was pretty normal for me.

"I should call Mary or Amos, or the other god damn cops! That's smart. But I guess I'm not because here I am following 3 strangers into the woods with a k-" The realization I still had what they desired, the key, in my back pocket. I pulled it out and looked at it further as I thought of what I should do with it.

I'm pretty sure it's dangerous if it's needed to open something in the woods, so I can't let them get a hold of it.

I stopped momentarily and thought of what to do with it. I looked down at my bike when an idea popped into my head. I grabbed the grip that was twisted on the arm handle and began to unravel it, leaving the handle with nothing but the pole. I then looked around until I found a rock that would fit perfectly in the opening, far enough to where it would cause a blockage and create a sort of pocket. It was the right size for the key as well, it didn't shake and create noise. I twisted the grip back on and stared at it for a second, proud of my great idea that seemed to work.

A twig snapping brought me out of my trance of accomplishment. My head snapped to the side of me where I noticed some figures in the far distance. There was a boulder between me and them so I was certain they couldn't see me, especially at their distance. But that didn't stop me from ducking down just in case.
I crept towards them and set my bike down carefully on a patch of soft grass. I peeked my head over the large boulder and my eyes locked on the 4 bodies, 3 of which were familiar.