Chapter 16: She'll Be Next

-Scott-

The room was dark and I had a metallic taste in my mouth. It wasn’t as strong as it was before, but it still lingered. I tried opening my mouth, but my jaw was too sore to even move. My arms were still bound by cuffs, my skin completely raw and bleeding underneath. I gave up pulling against the cuffs because it was only hurting me even more.

                I was tucked in a corner of the room. It was dimly lit by just a candle. It could be a bedroom with the right furniture. The room was different than the one I was in before. I don’t even remember being moved because they keep me unconscious. Either with the prick of a needle or one of the guards does like to use my face as a punching bag.

                I don’t even know who these people are.

                When I went to Mist, it was dumb, I know that. Willow didn’t fight me for once, either. I can’t imagine what they’re thinking. I feel like they’re most likely happy I’m out of their lives so they can finally live in peace. Part of me believe they’re looking for me and another part of me knows I’m not going to make it out of here alive.

                And I didn’t care if I did. I have nothing to lose.

                I don’t understand why they’re taking so long to just kill me.

                There’s two guards that I know of. And the main person in charge is a female. She’s barely in her twenty’s and she always has her hair tied back into the tightest ponytail. I didn’t know her, but sometimes when she smiled, she looked like someone I knew. When she smiled though, it was right after the heel of her boot made impact against my stomach.

                Sometimes I would hear a guy talking and I knew his voice. I could exactly pinpoint it, but I knew him as well. More so than the girl. But sometimes when he spoke, it was never the person I thought it was. I’ve never seen him, he’s only been here twice just to make sure the girl is doing her job and not letting me go.

                Jesse’s killer has to be the one holding me. The two guards found me at Mist. Had one of my workers knock on my office door to get me out. One of them knocked my head against the wall and I was knocked unconscious. Right when I was about to tell Willow who it was. They told me about the software on my phone and how they could track, see, and hear everything. They also told me Willow and Noah had my phone, which couldn’t be good.

                The person I thought may have been Jesse’s killer couldn’t pull all of this off. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know people who could. Just so the blood isn’t on his hands a second time.      

                I lost count of the days because I was always kept in a dark room with no sunlight. I know I haven’t been gone for more than a week by now. Maybe there’s people looking for me, maybe there’s not. Definitely not going to get my hopes up.

                The sound of a door slamming made me jump a little. Next thing the door to my room opened and the girl stepped in. She was mainly a silhouette, but I knew it was her. “Good, you’re awake.” She flipped on a light switch and blew out the candle.

                “You sound surprised.” My voice was raspy from my dry throat.

She shrugged. “You’ve been out for a day. It wasn’t looking too promising.” She tilted her head to the side, examining me. “And somehow you look worse than you did yesterday.”

I feel worse than I did yesterday.

                She pulled a knife from her boot and kneeled in front of me. Her blue eyes were colder today. I felt like she was telling me this is my last day. “That girl you were with at Mist is being nosey again.”