Chapter 4: Just This Once

-Noah-

“Where the hell have you been?” Andy yelled in a whisper as he leaned closer to me.  I arrived at the bar about five minutes ago and Andy was going to have my head.

I grabbed the full glass of beer from the bar top and took a sip before answering the towering man. “I told you, I had to go to the bathroom.”

                “That’s a load of shit. You were gone for two hours.”

I put a hand to my stomach, “I have problems, dude. Don’t judge.”

Andy clenched his jaw so tight I thought he would pass out. “If he knew I let you out of my sight, he would have my head and make you watch.”

I shrugged my shoulders and placed the beer back down. “Good.  He doesn’t even have to know.”

                “If he knows you saw her, he would kill you.”

My heart stopped and my smile fell.  “How did you know?”

                “She was there at the show.  I saw one of the workers bring her to the dressing room.  And then I saw you on top of her.”

Andy has been pretty nimble with me about my freedom.  But there were some things he couldn’t help. “She came to me.”

                “But you went there tonight.”

                “You can’t tell him.” I muttered, running my finger over the rim of the glass absentmindedly.

Andy let out a sigh which caused me to look in his direction. “This is the last time. See her again and I will tell.  I’m sorry, I don’t want to.  But this is what I was hired to do. No questions asked.”

My smile was weak. “Thank you and I’m sorry.”

He picked something out of his pocket and scooted it towards me. “Nice try.”

My smile grew when I noticed it was my phone. “It was good though, wasn’t it?”

                “You’d be surprised.” He gave my shoulder a playful shove.  “Let’s get you home before he calls me yelling.”

Saying Andy only came with me to California was an understatement.  I was lucky to shower without him with me.  Whenever Scott…or Isaac…isn’t around, he’s like a guard dog.  But it’s not all bad.  I do enjoy having someone to hang out with that isn’t a total asshole.  I shouldn’t think of Andy as a friend, but at this point we are.

                He walked me to the front door and I pulled out my keys.  “I had a great time on our date.” I batted my eyelashes like a girl.

He laughed and pushed my inside the house when I got it opened. “I’m going to kick your ass.”

                “Good luck with that.”

He rolled his eyes, “I’ll be over in the morning.  Don’t try anything stupid while I’m gone, please.”

                “I make no promises.”

He just rolled his eyes again and walked away.

                I closed the door behind me and engaged the lock.  The house Scott picked was roomy.  Maybe a little more room than we actually needed.  We were in the middle of the suburbs to ‘blend in’. To me it was a big joke.  The house was average.  Nothing like I used to live in.  Two stories of disappointment.  He insisted on having extra bedrooms for only god knows what.  Two guys living in a suburb house together doesn’t exactly sing ‘fitting in”.  It’s screaming something totally different.  I miss the Vegas house.  I still don’t understand why we had to move back here.