Chapter 24: She's Changed Everything

-Scott-

None of this felt real.

                It felt like a bad dream and there was no waking up. Willow wouldn’t be in the hospital and Noah’s family would still be together. But Leo destroyed everything because he had issues. Issues it seemed I inherited. Like the anger and getting ideas in my head that are too farfetched to be considered normal. I know I wasn’t normal, I just never knew why.

                Emma came rushing through the emergency room doors, her normal ponytail loose and her eyes wide with panic. I stood up and met her halfway. “What are you doing here?” I whispered, glancing around just in time to see Noah sitting with Ash. I jerked my head in the direction of outside the hospital and Noah rose from his seat.

                I followed Emma outside, Noah trailing quickly behind. “What are you doing here, Emma?” I repeated once we stopped further down the sidewalk. Emma looked at Noah and back to me. “I went there and the place was crawling with police. They came out with Leo in cuffs and they said everyone was here.” She took in a deep breath. “I thought it was you.” She sucked in another ragged breath.

                “You shouldn’t have come here.” Noah said softly.

She looked at Noah, tears brimming her eyes. “I’m not leaving.”

It was weird having a sister. It was weird when I found out about Noah and Alex, but I have an older sister I never even thought about. My mom never mentioned her before, maybe because it hurt to talk about. “You don’t have to.” I said. “We all need to talk.”

Noah nodded in agreement.

                “I guess that means you already know about me.” A tear fell down her cheek but he quickly swiped it away. “I never wanted to hurt you, Scott. I had to.”

                “Why did you have to?” Noah asked, his voice came out much stronger than mine would have. I’m glad he spoke first.

She located the small bench and took a seat. She swiped at her cheeks again with shaky hands. “When I turned eighteen, I looked for our mom.” She looked at me. “I found out about her passing and I just didn’t want to believe it. I went to my foster parents, both of them retired detectives. They had resources and they found out about Leo.” She paused to take a breath. “I went to Leo about two years ago when I turned twenty and he took me in and of course, Carrie didn’t know about me, she thought I was just someone who worked for Leo. And that’s how it started, but eventually I told him who I was but not my intentions. I wanted him to think I was on his side. He told me everything. About mom, about Noah, and about you. I knew I would be the only person that could get to you. And I’m glad I did before it was too late.”

I looked to Noah and he was looking down at Emma intently. He kneeled in front of her slowly, which to me was a pretty bold move on his part. “You should’ve came to us.” He said softly. “Instead of Leo.”

                “I know, it was stupid. But I already knew his plans. I just wish I would’ve stopped him sooner.” She started to choke up again. “I didn’t think he was capable of anything like that, you know? He’s so…fatherly, and then he told me what he did.” She looked at me, “I’m so sorry, Scott.”

This time, I kneeled beside Noah in front of her. I lightly touched her hand, “It’s okay.” I whispered. “It’s over now.”

Noah stood up and sat down next to her and I sat down on her other side. She buried her face in her hands, crying quietly. “I shouldn’t have let it go this far. We could’ve avoided all of this.”