Chapter 14: Figure It Out

-Noah-

“He didn’t tell you?” I urged.

                “He was about to!” Willow shouted.

I glanced over at her, my anger was only getting stronger. “Why go to you? Why didn’t he come to me?”

                “He said you wouldn’t believe him.”

                “And you would?”

Willow braced herself against the dashboard. “Slow down before you kill us both!”

                We pulled to a stop at a red light and Willow let go of her breath. “I don’t know what to believe. I’m so caught up in this mess I don’t even know who to believe or trust anymore.”

The light turned green and I drove at a slower pace. “Why’d you follow him then?”

                “Great question.”

                We arrived back at the house and quietly went inside because of the hour. Willow had given me Scott’s phone before we departed. I ran upstairs and she went to the basement. I closed my door, immediately removing this shirt that seemed constricting. I sat at my desk with Scott’s phone and turned it over in my hand.

                There was a sliver of crimson down the back. I don’t know whose blood it is, but I’m thinking it’s most likely Scott’s.

                I turned it back over to unlock it. I couldn’t even begin to think what his passcode could be. I tried his birthday, nothing. I can’t think of anything else that’s significant enough for Scott to remember. The day his mom died?

No.

His mom’s birthday?

No. I’m not even sure how I remembered that. He told me so long ago.

                My door opened and Willow came in. She leaned over the desk with a hand draped over my shoulder. “Figure it out?”

I gave a quick shake of my head. “Any ideas?”

Willow thought for a moment and took the phone from my hands. It took her only one try. “What was it?”

                “0-8-2-4.”

                “Do I want to know?”

                “Probably not.”

Of course it had something to do with Willow. I would have never guessed it, so he did it on purpose.

                Or maybe he wanted me to figure it out.

                Maybe he wanted her to figure it out.

                Scott’s admitted to feeling something for Willow and I’m too defensive about it. He may act like he doesn’t care, he just hopes the more he acts like he hates her, that he actually will. What Willow and I did behind his back wasn’t right when she dated him. Even if Scott only dated her to piss me off, he had to admit she was more than a pretty face.

                I tossed that idea into the back of my mind and went to his call list. A private number was at the top of the list. I tapped on it to see the person had called three times today, one of the most recent being just two hours ago. Scott has always been secretive, so this wasn’t exactly surprising. Andy’s number was there and so was mine. A few were from his friends. Or, acquaintances. “Who do you think those private numbers are?” Willow asked.