Chapter 11: Prepare To Be Disappointed

The clock read 2:04 A.M. when I woke up. I barely remember falling asleep. I looked to my left and Noah was still very much asleep. His arm was lazily draped over my sweatshirt clad torso. I carefully picked his arm up and sat it down, trying not to wake him up. He stirred a little, but didn’t wake.

                I was still curious about Noah. Even after almost a year. He has secrets and I wasn’t sure I wanted to know anymore. I also wondered what he was like when I wasn’t around. He uses his arrogance as a defense. Sarcasm too. I imagine him to be how he is when we first met. An ego bigger than he could handle and a knife collection that intimidated me. Well, Noah personally intimidated me.

                He spoke about Scott rarely. And never called him his brother. I understand he probably doesn’t want to talk about it and that’s okay. But if something happens and I could have stopped it, I won’t be able to deal with that. I don’t know how I made it nine months without even a word about his wellbeing. If he was alive or not, and if he was, was he happy? Most likely not happy. He definitely wasn’t when I met him at his show.

                 Not happy to see me. Maybe disappointed.

                He seemed more at ease when we were alone. I noticed how tense he gets when Scott’s around. It’s like he completely shuts down and forgets everything but his name. Almost like Scott’s personal little robot he can do whatever he wants with. I wish Scott would leave Noah alone and let him live how he wants. It’s not Noah’s fault. None of this is Noah’s fault. It’s not even Scott’s fault what happened to his mom.

                After I took care of what I had to in the bathroom, I made my way back to the bedroom. Noah groaned a little and used the arm closest to him to move the hair that fell over his eyes. “Are you okay?” He breathed and closed his eyes again.

                “I was thinking the same thing about you.” I replied softly and sat down on my side of the bed.

Noah slowly opened his eyes that I could only see from the dim bathroom light. “I would be better if you were still in bed. It’s 2 A.M.”

I let out a small laugh, “I couldn’t sleep.”

                “Did I wake you up?”

I gently shook my head and sank down beside him. He maneuvered a little until his face was pressed against the side of my neck and his arm was back around my waist, but a bit tighter this time. I ran my fingers through his hair and he let out a long breath. “I’m sorry I came here the way I did.” He muttered, his breath hot against my neck.

                “No, I’m glad you came here. I’m sorry you had to do it alone.”

                “Things are getting out of control again.” He moved his head back to look up at me. “They’re worse than before. And it’s never going to get better. It’s only going to get worse from here.”

I had to shake my head again. “Don’t think like that.” Even I had to admit things were still getting worse. But that’s obviously not what Noah needed to hear right now.

Noah moved away from me and sat up. I remained in my position and looked up at him. “I should be the one taking care of you.” He let out a nervous laugh.

I smiled up at him, “We take care of each other. That’s how it works.”

He was still barely awake, but he managed to give me a sleepy smile.

                I jumped out of the bed, scaring Noah a little. “C’mon, I want to show you something.” I grabbed his hand and pulled. He let out another groan and slowly got up out of bed.