Epilogue

*15 months later*

My phone buzzed on my desk the moment I shut my computer. It’s almost 2 in the morning and I just finished a paper for Professor Anderson’s class. But Noah’s name flashed across my screen and I couldn’t even think about sleep. I answered it quickly, but tried my best not to sound eager. “Hey.” I said smoothly.

                “I didn’t think you would answer.” He said, a hint of surprise in his voice. “I don’t mean it like that, so wipe that look off your face.”

I almost laughed because he knew me well. “I was going to leave you a voicemail because it’s currently-” He paused and finished “-1:48 A.M. in Georgia. You should be in bed.”

Then I laughed. “What about you Rock star? Shouldn’t you be asleep? You have an early flight to come see me.”

                “About that…” He trailed off. “I won’t make it home for a couple of days. Flights have been canceled due to weather.”

I wanted to slam my head through a wall. “Are you kidding me?” I complained. “Out of all the days, the weather has to pick the day you finally come home.”

                “I know, I’m sorry. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

There was silence and then he said, “I miss you so much.”

                It’s been three months since he went on tour with his band. It wasn’t anything huge, but they picked up a lot of shows throughout the country. Their last show tonight was in Vegas and he was supposed be home tomorrow night. I haven’t seen him in three months and I almost hated myself for how much I missed him. “You have no idea.” I mumbled in the phone. It wasn’t like me to get pouty, and I can’t control the weather.

                “Believe me, I have too many ideas.” He let out a sigh. “I can’t wait to see you.”

There was definitely need hiding behind his tone. He just didn’t say it in so many words. “You too.” I couldn’t deny that I was sad. The thought of seeing him after so long made my chest tighten but in a good way.

                “Go to bed and I’ll be home before you know it.”

                “Promise?”

                “Promise.”

We exchanged byes before we hung up.

                After I showered and got changed for bed, I roamed the small apartment Noah and I shared. It was small, but it was perfect for us. Georgia turned out to be the best idea in my opinion. I loved the school I was going to, I loved the area we lived in, and most of all I fell in love with Noah more and more each day. Even with him away as long as he has, it only makes me love him more. And with that love comes more of me missing him every time I fall asleep on his side of the bed.

                The next day was Friday, the last day before Winter break. I went through my classes with sleep threatening to take over every five minutes. It’s still hard to sleep without Noah sometimes and I know it’s kind of sad to say. I still have nightmares on occasion. They aren’t as bad as they used to be, but can still be pretty vivid. Noah chased them away with just a kiss to my forehead.

                I’ve never felt more alive than I do now. We’re living a normal life, doing normal couple things, and no drama. We rarely fight and when we do, it’s probably over what movie to watch or what to eat. In the end, he would make me laugh and I’ll forget why I was mad. Noah would laugh at me when I got mad anyway. He’s always done this, so it wasn’t a great surprise.