Chapter 19: Why'd You Do This To Me?

-Scott-

I sat at the window again, watching absolutely nothing in particular. Sometimes I would see birds and be envious of their freedom. At least the bandages around my wrists keep the cuffs from digging in to my skin. And the girl, she decided to cuff my hands in front so I could feed myself. I didn’t even have the energy to fight her. It would only hurt me more because of those two guards.

                The sun was setting. The only thing that lets me know what time it is.

                I couldn’t tell you the date. I’ve lost count of the days.

                The girl said he was coming for me soon again yesterday.

                She’s been acting a bit strange lately. She hasn’t used me as her personal scratching post and she’s been less snarky. She brings me food every night and two bottles of water. She never stays any longer than she has to and she won’t look at me any longer than a second. She doesn’t talk much, either. I’m used to her throwing names at me and telling me I’m pathetic, but something’s changed.

                The bedroom door slowly opened and she stepped through with a bag in her hand. I was starving, but I took my time walking up to her and taking the bag from her hands. I didn’t want to look like a dog when their owner just got him.

                She sat with me at the table, like she usually does. “You’re quiet.” I stated after swallowing my first bite.

She shrugged her shoulders, her normal tight ponytail was loose. “Don’t have anything to say.”

There was something odd about her. When I looked at her, I saw my mom. Which is weird, right? I just think its hallucinations or something because my mom never had any other kids. “Why won’t you tell me your name?” I blurted.

                “Why would I tell you my name?” She leaned over the table, the normal flare of anger behind her eyes.

                “Why not?”

She let out a sigh and leaned back in her chair. She folded her arms across her chest, “Emma.”

The name wasn’t familiar. “Emma.” I repeated. “Suits you.”

                She was quiet after that.

                When I finished eating and downed my last bottle of water, I went back to the window. “Why haven’t you taken your anger out on me yet?” I asked timidly.

Emma stood up and walked towards me. “You’re not the person I should be taking my anger out on.”

                “Then who is?”

                “No one I would tell you about.” She raised a brow and put a hand on her hip.

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window again.

                “I finally met the infamous Willow.”

Something in my chest swelled and felt like it was on fire. “You didn’t—”

                “I didn’t touch her.” She interjected. “I went to her for help.”

Now I was the one confused. “And what could she possibly help with?”

                “Getting you out, Dumbass.”

My confusion turned to shock. “Getting me out?”