Chapter 5: I Think We Should Ask Her

-Noah-

“Drop me off here and go get coffee.” I said and Andy stopped the car.

                “I won’t be gone any longer than ten minutes.  So please don’t do anything stupid.”

I just grinned and jumped out of the car.  Andy sped off in a new direction and I made my way to the park’s path.  I walked a few feet before finding an empty bench looking towards the playground.  The air was thick and humid and the echo of little kid screams and giggles only made my chest tighten a bit.  I did realize how creepy this looked right now.

                I hunched over, pulling my phone out of my pocket so I looked distracted and not like I’m being a complete creep.  I had a million messages from Scott I had no intentions on answering.  I seriously felt like I was a child.  He’s only a few months younger but he treats me like I’m about ten years old.  These thoughts are what keep my motivated to get away from him.

                A shadow over casted above me suddenly hiding the sun.  I lifted my eyes to meet a pair of bare legs that I knew all too well.  I looked up, a smirk arising on my lips.  “Are you stalking me or something?” Her eyebrow quirked up and her arms were laid across her chest.

                “Don’t be a fun sucker, Babe.”

Willow rolled her eyes and looked back down at me.  “Seriously.  What are you doing here?”

                “I didn’t know you would be here, I swear.” I was about 60% sure she would be here.  So today is my lucky day.

She nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and pointed her thumb over her shoulder, “Alex is just over there, you should go.”

My heart instantly ached.  “Willow—”

                “Don’t.  He doesn’t need to see you right now.  I’m not so sure I even want to see you right now.  So please, just leave before he sees you.”

It was too late.  I heard his voice before I saw him. “Noah?”

Willow looked like she was close to tears. 

                I looked away from her to the familiar figure standing next to her.  “Hey, buddy.”

Alex was staring at me, deciding if it was actually me or not.  But he jumped in my arms, wrapping his arms tight around my shoulders.  “Please don’t leave again.” He whispered loud enough for me to hear him.  I squeezed my eyes shut and tightened my arms around him.  I couldn’t make that promise.  Not right now.

                He pulled back, giving me a smile.  “You look more like me every day.” I teased, standing up.  I playfully pushed his shoulder making him laugh.

                “That’s what she keeps telling me.” He muttered, jerking his thumb in Willow’s direction.

I resisted looking in her direction even though I can feel her stare burning holes in the side of my face.  “We’re about to go for ice cream, you wanna go?” Alex asked.

I opened my mouth to speak but Willow interrupted.  “Go play with Ryan, I gotta talk to Noah.”

He nodded and ran off in the direction he came.  Willow jerked me in the direction of the bathrooms, pushing me inside of the family one and locking the door. “What part of leave don’t you understand?” Her voice was raising.  “Do you have any idea what you just did?”