Chapter 9: Say My Name Again

-Noah-

Willow just stared at me. Wide-eyed.  I don’t even think she’s breathing.  “B-but he said…” She trailed off.

I nodded my head, nervously picking at my bottom lip.

                “You believe him?” She shouted, quickly standing to her feet.

                “I know it sounds crazy, but I do—”

                “And you’re telling me I fell for his bullshit.” She started pacing.

My head was shaking back and forth, “You didn’t see him.”

She stopped abruptly and looked at me. “What are you even saying to me right now?  Do you not realize that he tried to kill both of us?”

I stood up this time, looking down at her, “You think I could forget that?  That’s not saying I’ve completely excused him for what he did to us.  But with that said, no.  I don’t think he did it.”

                I’m sure I looked as stupid as I felt.  He was basically sobbing that night.  A bottle of Jack in one hand and an empty glass in the other.  He was stumbling and slurring.  He was an absolute mess.  And if it’s one thing I have never thought about Scott doing, is having a mental break down in front of me.  I eventually got him calmed down enough to get actual formed sentences. 

                The funny thing about that night, we pretend it never happened.  It’s an unspoken agreement.  I want to talk to him about it, but every time I try, something tells me I just shouldn’t.  I never said Scott wasn’t a complete maniac.  I just think maybe, just maybe, he wasn’t the one that killed Jesse.  But if not Scott, than who?  I’m sure Scott knows, he’s just not going to rat that person out.

                Maybe that person’s blackmailing Scott to take the fall.

                Which is likely, I guess.  I just can’t think of any other person that would want to hurt Jesse.  Jesse would never hurt himself.  Scott knows that.  I do believe Scott had intentions on hurting Jesse that night, but someone got to him before Scott did.  “You need to talk to him, Noah.”

                “I know. I’m going to.”

                “Do it tonight.” She grounded with a steady voice. “We can’t risk this right now. You of all people should know that.”

I was too afraid to even look up at her, but I managed. “He’ll be at his moms tonight.”

She walked around me and grabbed her bag from the counter. “Then do it tomorrow, Noah. Just do it as soon as possible.  Because if Scott didn’t do it, then the person that did is still out there. Possibly coming after you.” The calmness of her voice is oddly soothing. I expected her to really explode.

I walked up to her and placed my hands on her arms.  I rubbed my hands up and down in an attempt to sooth her a little. “Nothing bad is going to happen to me or you or Alex. I’m going to talk to him. I promise.”

                “Good.” She took a step back and made her way to the door.

                “Leaving already?” I asked.

She nodded quickly, placing her hand on the handle. “I have to go to my parents for dinner.”

                “Can I go with you?” I blurted.

                “Are you being serious?”

I guess it was stupid to ask, but I’ve done far stupider things. “I wouldn’t have asked.”