Chapter 13: He Knew

-Noah-

The reopening of Mist is tomorrow. Something I’ve been dreading since the moment he told me we had to work for him. Willow hasn’t said much to me over the past few days. Maybe asked me how I’m doing and that would be it. Scott hasn’t been around for a while. Hasn’t called and I’m not going to make the effort to reach out to him.

                Today I had to stop by and get our uniforms from the new manager.  I stepped inside the quiet house and let out a sigh. It’s the first quiet I’ve actually had since I’ve been home. I can’t complain, I guess. But they’re always hounding me about something. It’s school or it’s about Scott. They want me to go to the police and give Scott up.

                Why can’t I just do it?

                Part of me is still protecting him and I don’t know why.

                Willow was perched on top of the island in the kitchen, a book between her hands. The smell of cookies enveloped me. It’s been too long. “Hey.”

She jolted upright with wide eyes and then let go of the breath she was holding. “I hate it when you do that.” She looked down at her book again, a hand still over her chest. 

                “You’re going to love the uniforms.” I teased.

She sat her book down and I stepped closer. I handed her the small stack of black clothes and I thought she was going to have a heart attack. “I’m guessing this was Scott’s idea.”

The top was short and is probably going to show her stomach. The shorts were really short, but Willow has long legs. I know she’ll be able to pull them off.

                “Don’t worry. You’re not the only one that has to wear them.”

She was still worried. Not about the uniform, but working for Scott.

                I waited, but I reached up to caress her face in one hand. “I’ll be there. Just think about that. And if something happens, you know where to go.”

Willow nodded, but I wasn’t convinced. “He just frustrates me so much.” The feeling was mutual.

                I placed my hand on the back of her neck and brought my lips lightly to her forehead. At that moment I wanted to just take her away. Take her to the apartment and live my life with her. I want to have her in the same bed when I wake up and when I fall asleep. I want to protect her with everything I have and then some.

                The beeping of the oven timer pulled us apart. She jumped off the counter to retrieve the cookies from the oven. Alex rounded the corner to the kitchen in time for the oven to slam closed. “Are they done?” He sounded out of breath, like he had been waiting and took off at the sound.

                Willow laughed and held the plate of fresh cookies in front of him. “Only two and then we have to give you your medicine.”

Alex sat at the breakfast bar and ate his cookies. Willow prepared his medicine and slid it next to him only for Alex to wrinkle his nose. “Being sick sucks.” He muttered. He finished the last cookie and downed his medicine with a sour look.  He snatched two more cookies before running back upstairs.

The next day was worse. Willow wasn’t talking. She would space out when you were talking to her. I didn’t want to leave her alone, but I had band practice. I offered for her to come, but she didn’t want to be there any earlier than she had to.