Chapter 3: What's it to You?

-Willow-

“What do you think you’re doing?” I shouted.  I quickly slapped my hand over my mouth after realizing how loud I was being.  How convenient he would show up on my first night here.

He was still grinning like a kid on Christmas. “I needed to grab some things while I was here.” He tilted his head slowly, examining my towel clad body.

I started to feel uncomfortable in my own skin.  Despite the fact I’m actually naked. “You couldn’t go through the front door like a normal person?” I pulled the towel tighter across my body.

                “Normal is so overrated.  And there would have been a bigger chance at being caught.”

                “By your own mother?”

                “I’m not even supposed to be here right now.”

He walked to his dresser and pulled one of the drawers I wasn’t using.  “What are you doing here anyway?” He glanced at me from over his shoulder before picking clothes out of the drawer.

                “I’m staying here for the summer.  Your mom offered me a nanny job.”  I shifted under the towel, pulling it tighter again.

He slammed the drawer shut and walked to the closet.  “Good for you.  Didn’t think you’d stay in this room though.”  He came back with a duffle bag.

I shrugged even though he wasn’t looking at me.  “I didn’t really have a choice.”  The water turned cold as it dripped from my hair and onto my shoulders.  “I guess that’s something you’ll have to learn with my mom.  Has a heart of gold but doesn’t take no for an answer.”

I could agree.  “Why can’t you be here?” I asked softly.

He put the bag on the bed and turned around to face me. “You should know why, Willow.”

                “Where’s that guy that follows you around?”

He went back to putting things in the bag, “I lost him back in Huntington.  Told him I was going to the bathroom.  I had to ditch my phone in one of the stalls.”

Scott.  “Why does that not surprise me?” I muttered.

                “I’m not surprised by anything anymore.” He zipped the bag up and turned back around.  “Well, I’m surprised at how good you look right now.  I almost forgot how you looked after—”

                “Finish that and I’ll slap you across the face.”

He bit down on the black ring through his lip with a smirk on his face.  “Still kind of immune to my bullshit.”  He took a step towards me and picked up a wet strand of hair.  “Why’d you cut it so short?”

                “Why does it matter?” I pulled my hair from his grip and slapped his hand away.

                “I always liked it down.”

                “I’m not here to please you, Noah.”

He let out a laugh and I took a step back.  “I remember you said something like that to me at my first party.  You hated my guts.”

                “I could never hate you, dumbass.”

My choice of words only made him smile.  “Still trying to pick the perfect name for me, yeah?”

                “I think jackass sums it up right now.”

Noah took a few steps closer and hooked his finger under the towel. “I’m not always a jackass.”

I pulled the towel tighter, “You haven’t exactly been a ray of sunshine.” I tried swallowing the lump in my throat and keep my voice from shaking.

He curled the towel under his finger, pulling slowly.  That only made me hold on tighter. “I’m a lot of things, Willow.” He let go of the towel and cupped my face between his hands.  “How much did you miss me?” His voice dropped down to a raspy whisper.

                “What’s it to you?”

He lightly brushed his thumbs across my cheeks, “More than you think.” He glanced down at my parted lips, lingering two long seconds before looking back into my eyes.

                “I still miss you.” I whispered.  The intensity of his stare was too much. “And I know once you leave here tonight, I won’t see you for a while.  Maybe not at all. And I’m not going through that again.” Staring at him now felt like a dream.  I didn’t want to wake up because I knew he’d be gone.

He lightly shook his head, “I just needed to hear you say it.”

                “Why?  So you can leave with an empty promise to come back?”

                “This hasn’t exactly been easy for me, either.  The pain isn’t one sided, Willow.  I feel what you feel.  The promise I’m going to leave you now won’t be empty.  I want to come back to you.”

The words were too perfect to be real.  Too perfect to be coming from Noah’s mouth. “I can’t keep waiting.”

                “Just hold on a little bit longer.” He leaned in closer to me, pressing his lips to my forehead.  “It’s almost over.” He left another kiss and jerked away from me.

He grabbed the bag from his bed and left the room without giving me another look.

                There were millions of things running through my mind, but one kept repeating.  What was almost over?

                There was too much movement on the bed when I woke up the next morning.  Small giggles rose from the shaking spot beside me.  “Wake up, Low, I’m hungry.”

I slowly opened my eyes, turning my head just a little to catch the bright blue eyes of a hyper 12 year old.  “You don’t know how to fix cereal?”

He jumped off of the bed and tugged on my hand, “I do, but I want pancakes. And bacon.  Lots and lots of bacon.”

I gave into Alex and got out of bed.  I ran my fingers through my messy hair and slowly followed Alex down the stairs.  I didn’t know what time it was but I can just feel that it’s too early to be awake right now.  Especially on a summer day.  “What do you want to do today?” I asked as I reached for the pancake mix. 

                “Noah used to take me to the park during the summer.  Could we go?”

I smiled and nodded, “Of course.  We’ll go after breakfast.”

                “My dad promised to take me this summer, but he hasn’t been here much.”

                “That’s what I’m here for, Silly.”

We ate breakfast and then I chased Alex up the stairs.  I left him alone to get ready while I did.  I just slipped on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.  I pulled on my shoes, wrapped my hair into a ponytail and made my way downstairs.  Alex was already waiting by the door with a huge smile on his face.  This kid was definitely one of a kind.

                We made it to the park and Alex jumped out of the car before I even turned the car off.  It felt weird doing things as simple as taking him to the park.  Just a few months ago I was basically scared for my life and everyone around me.  Now I’m taking Alex to the park and it’s simple again.

I just wonder for how long.

----------------------------

This is so short and I'm sorry. D:  But the next chapter will be longer and normal again.  It will be in Noah's point of view!!  I just didn't know what else to put in this chapter without dragging it out and repeating myself.

No song today. :(

I'll try and get the next chapter up soon! <3