Chapter 25: I Need To Heal

-Willow-

The sound of a distant beeping woke me up. I blinked several times, letting my eyes adjust to the light. The room was dimly lit, only illuminated by the muted TV. I tried lifting my arm, but they felt like they weighed a ton. I was hooked up to different machines.

                I looked around my room, my eyes landing on a sleeping figure at the end of my bed. Ash was sitting in a chair, leaning over my bed with his arms folded under his head. I didn’t know how long I had been sleeping or how long Ash had been here. I attempted to sit up, but a pain in my side caused me to let out a loud groan.

                Ash’s head shot up and then he was on his feet. “Are you okay?”

I nodded the best I could, lightly putting a hand to my side. “Yeah, I’m fine.” I gestured towards the cup of water sitting on the bedside table.

                Ash quickly handed it to me and I gulped it down. That made me feel a bit better. “Do you need me to get the nurse?”

I nodded again and Ash left.

                When he came back, a nurse came rushing in before him. “How are you feeling, Sweetie?” She asked, coming to my side.

                “In a bit of pain.” My voice almost didn’t even sound like mine.

She held a small cup in her hand and she handed it to me. “Just give it a few minutes to kick in. I’ll be back in a few to check on you.” She smiled a little before she left.

                Ash poured me more water and I took the pill. I leaned my head back, closing my eyes for a moment. Noah came to mind and I wondered if he was okay. I vaguely remember what happened after I was shot. I opened my eyes again to find Ash’s. “Where’s Mom and Dad?” I asked instead.

                “Cafeteria. They needed caffeine.” He laughed lightly.

                “And Noah?”

Ash smiled weakly. “He’s been calling me every five minutes. He’ll be thrilled to know he can finally come see you.” Ash rolled his eyes teasingly. “And Ashley is also here. She’s been waiting for you to wake up.”

                He stood up and left the room again. The pain in my side started to subside, but I was still afraid to move at all. Tears stung my eyes without warning. I placed my hands over my eyes, wielding the tears to stop before Ashley came in.

                The door opened and Ashley came running in. Her normal straightened hair was in a mess of waves and she wore sweatpants and a t-shirt. Something rare of Ashley. She sat down where Ash was sitting originally and leaned towards me. “God, I’ve missed you.” Her eyes watered.

                “You too.” I placed a hand on her arm. “Can’t get rid of me that easy.”

She smiled and swiped a tear away. “I’m locking you up until you turn eighty.”

                “Fine by me.”

After Ashley and Ash left, my parent’s left shortly after. Ash called Noah before he left, letting him know it was okay to come see me. The thought made my stomach turn. I know I won’t be able to keep myself composed. The events prior to this came flooding back. They were a bit of a blur, but some were vivid. Everything about it made me ache.

                I let my eyes close for a minute, sleep was trying to take over. This medication was kicking my ass. But the door opened slowly and the person I wanted to see the most stepped in. “Hey.” He said.