Chapter 6: When it Comes to You

-Willow-

“Are you sure we’re talking about my brother?” I laughed.

I heard Ashley sigh on the other end of the phone.  “I wasn’t expecting it either.”

                “Well, what did you say?”

There was silence, well, more of a hesitation. “I said yeah.”

                “This is so exciting!  It’s going to take some getting used to, but it’s really exciting!”

Ashley decided to break the news to me that my brother, Ashton Abernathy, actually asked her to move in with him when he heads to college September.  They’ll be going to the same school when Ashley graduates, and now they’re getting an apartment together.  I guess she’s ditching me senior year.  Which astounds me. My parents would kill me.  “It’s a pretty big step for both of us.  That’s why he took me to Huntington today.”

                “It’s great, I’m so happy for you.”

                “We need to hang out!  I miss you.” Ashley’s perky voice never fails to make me laugh.

                “I’m taking Alex to a friend’s house tomorrow, so come spend tomorrow night.”

                “Sounds good.  Love you.”

                “Love you more.”

After I hung up the phone, I walked to my side of the dresser and pulled out clothes to sleep in. 

                I decided to skip the shower since it was going on two in the morning and I was drained.  Talking to Noah today mentally took a lot out of me.  He needs to take care of himself.  I don’t want him to get caught trying to come see me.  I regret ever going to that show, but I didn’t know what I was in for.  Yes, it was completely stupid on my part.

                I miss him more than I want to admit.

                Kissing him today was the worst thing I could’ve done.

The sound of a car door slamming pulled me from my thoughts.

I quickly turned out all of the lights and walked towards the window slowly.  A car I didn’t recognize was sitting in the driveway.

Smart is not a word I would use to describe myself.  More like stupid or naïve. 

I walked out of the room, slowly making my way down the steps and towards the front door.  I unlocked the door and only cracked the door to peek my head out.  I couldn’t see or hear anything.  I walked out of the door and slowly started making my way towards the car.

Stupid, I told you.

No one was in the driver’s seat but a hunched over figure sat in the passenger seat.  I walked to that side, opening the door.  I pushed his head up, finding a sleeping Noah.  “You’ve got to be kidding me right now.”  I placed my hands on his cheeks to examine his features that were only covered in blood.  “Wake up, Noah.”  I smacked his cheek a little harder.

But no response.

I let out an annoyed sigh, giving him a few more taps on the cheeks.  I was not about to deal with this again.

He let out a low groan and leaned his head back further.  “Why are you here?” I asked.

He quickly opened his eyes to meet mine in a panic.  “Willow, get inside and lock the doors now.” He whispered in a low voice.