Chapter 1: Nine Months

-Willow-

Summer time for me always involved extra classes to prepare for college.  But it’s the summer before my senior year and I didn’t want to spend it behind a classroom door, starring at a whiteboard until I got a headache.  I was going to make the most out of my last year with minimum responsibility and not be responsible.  Of course, my trusty sidekick’s will be with me.  That would include Ashley and Ash.  Ever since they started dating, it was impossible to get them apart.  It was gross, yet cute in a weird way.

                Rebecca moved with her family a few months ago because her grandma was only getting worse.  Her mom needed to be there for the final days if necessary, but I hope it wasn’t.  I haven’t talked to her, but I hope her grandmother fights and gets through it all.  Ashley and I do miss her a lot and plan to make a stop there this summer for a visit.  That’s if I can get Ash away from her for more than five minutes.

                Surprisingly, Ash did graduate.  But, college wasn’t on the table just yet.  He’s still blasting Blink-182 at three in the morning because it’s “therapy”.  The band has practice still, but no drummer.  Band practice is happening as we speak, because I can feel the floor vibrate under my bare feet when they touched the floor. 

                I let out a loud groan and packed up my stuff.  Mrs. Lockwood asked me to babysit Alex for the weekend and of course I had no problem with it.  I practically stayed over there most of the time, but there was still one place I couldn’t visit in that house.  It felt so empty without him here.  I always expect to see him when I go there, but the feeling turns into something else.  Something not filling and more of a void.

                I miss him every day. 

                I’ve learned to heal myself over the past few months.  I was completely numb until about two months ago.  I still have nightmares but no one to help me with them.  I have a light scar on my neck and it’s basically a reminder.  A reminder I didn’t want to have.  Unfortunately, it was stuck with me.  Alex always asks about it, but I can never tell him the truth.  He misses his brother more than I do, and worries just as much.  I try to ease his little mind as much as I can while his parent’s stay busy.

                I walked up the driveway after getting out of my car.  I inserted my key and unlocked the door.  “Willow!”  I heard Alex shout as he came running down the stairs and jumping in my arms.  I laughed and hugged him back.  “It’s only been two weeks.”  I left a kiss on the top of his head and he grabbed my hand, pulling me into the living room.  “That’s way too long.”

                “I’m sorry, buddy.  But school was ending and I had a lot of work.”

He picks up a controller and pushes it into my hands.  “You’re forgiven.” He grinned a little and sat down next to me on the couch.

                Alex and I were deep in a game of Halo when the doorbell rings.  I was timid, but thought it was the pizza we ordered.  We paused the game and Alex followed me to the door.  I unlocked it and pulled it open to reveal Ashley and not pizza.  “You’re not pizza.” Alex groaned.

I let out a laugh, “What are you doing here?  Shouldn’t you be with Ash?”

She stuck her tongue out at me and pushed passed me to get inside.  “No, I have something to show you.  Can we talk in the kitchen?”

I nodded and turned to Alex, “You can go ahead and start a new game.  I’ll be there in a minute.”  He took off before I could even finish the sentence.