one

an underrated song to start us off, play whenever you want!

YEAR SEVEN
HOLMES CHAPEL, ENGLAND
SEPTEMBER

How many days until graduation? Way too many to count, that's for sure.

As Madelaine Cardwell sits at lunch on the first day of year seven, all that's running through her head is being able to walk across that stage in a cap and gown and get that diploma. Sure, it's ages away, but it's probably going to be the best day of her life.

All of her classes today so far have been ridiculously subpar and extremely boring. She knows it's just the first day and it's surely bound to get better, but the monotone voices of all her teachers and the lifeless syllabuses don't have her particularly thrilled.

She tried to introduce herself to this one girl in science class, but she was returned with a fake laugh as the girl just went back to talking to her friend next to her. Maddie figured it wasn't worth it and they were probably already whispering about her, so she gave up.

Maddie was originally looking forward to English literature class, but the teacher already assigned a stupid essay about their summer that's due by the end of the week. Once again, she tried to introduce herself again to this other girl and make a friend, and she was much nicer than the one in science, but after their little greeting, she went right back to talking to her boyfriend about god knows what.

It's only the first day. Maddie knows she's going to have to make friends eventually, but right now as she sits alone at the lunch table, it feels like a cliché coming of age movie where the lonely, innocent girl who loves to read falls head over heels for the bad boy with tattoos who comes and takes her under his wing.

Three cheers for school.

The lunchroom is loud and bustling, packed full of kids from all different years who are mingling and scarfing down their lunches before they try not to fall asleep in their next class. One could easily pick out the table with the stereotypical popular kids because they're the loudest and draw a lot of attention to themselves, and there's also the quiet kids at one table with their heads buried in books as their imaginations run wild.

There's not a teacher to be found within the four walls of the lunchroom, which is surprising because usually the school is big on good, model behavior and acting your age. One would think they'd have at least one teacher in here to make sure nobody gets too rowdy like they're doing now.

Maddie sighs, taking another bite of her sandwich packed by her mum and turning her attention back to her phone. She's been switching between watching videos on Youtube and playing her favorite game for the last ten minutes as she eats, trying to keep herself busy to kill the time until the next class, which is history.

There's one goal she has for the day: acquaint herself with one person- maybe even possibly make a friend- but she thinks it's safe to assume that won't be happening. Sure, she could still try again in history, but honestly, what's the point?

There's still twenty minutes left of lunch and Maddie internally groans, not wanting to sit in this place for any longer. She thinks about going to hang out in the library for a little bit where she could at least get some peace and quiet for a couple minutes.

"Is this seat taken?"

Her head snaps up to see a boy she doesn't recognize standing across the table from her with a hopeful look on his face. He's got dark brown curly hair that kind of swoops over his forehead and is covered by a beanie, and bright green eyes that match his green polo, which is accompanied by a grey cardigan. His eyebrows are raised in anticipation of her answer, but his reason for wanting to sit there stumps her.