twenty three

MADDIE'S POV

The second I become conscious again, I already know I would be able to fall right back asleep if I let myself. I'm the most comfortable I think I've ever been in my life; my head is buried in a pillow and the fuzzy blanket is pulled all the way up so it hides half of my face. Fingers running through my hair as I lay in a balled up fetal position where warmth surrounds me.

I have no idea what time it is, I'm not even a hundred percent sure what day it is at the moment, but I know for a fact that I don't want to move.

As I open my eyes reluctantly, I can see sunlight pouring into the room even though the blinds are closed, so it must be really late in the morning. I pull the blanket up slightly further, but I groan lightly when my feet get exposed to the freezing air.

"Morning, sleepyhead." I hear Harry's raspy voice sound from above me, and everything from yesterday comes rushing back in an instant.

Yesterday afternoon was almost too perfect. Yes, I know it was simply a distraction and I'm going to have to face reality today, but it was a damn good distraction if there ever was one. I never would've known how much I needed to punch out my feelings if it weren't for Harry's suggestion. When I finally tired my arms out at the gym I had absolutely no intention of that being the end of my time with Harry so that's why I wanted to get food, that and I was also genuinely starving.

I hoped he wasn't sick of me at that point but he seemed okay, thankfully, and I wanted to keep the night going. I wanted to use up every last drop of energy I had; I was shocked I held out for as long as I did but I think it's something about Harry's presence that just keeps me going. I just didn't want that blissful feeling I had to ever end.

Coming up on Honey's was almost too perfect, I almost didn't believe it. I don't think I've ever experienced something so nostalgic in my life. That mixed with the absolute rampant butterflies in my stomach from our conversation just before; I could get used to that feeling.

Sadly though, today is a new day, and with that comes the slap in the face that is reality.

"What time is it?" I mumble, rubbing the sleep out of my tired eyes.

"Nearly ten." He replies softly.

If I'm doing the math correctly from around the time I fell asleep, I slept for almost fourteen hours. I've never slept that long in my life, ever. Unless when I was a baby, but that doesn't count. Obviously after the night I had last night, I needed it, but I'm still surprised I slept so soundly because usually I toss, turn, and wake up at least once in the middle of the night no matter what.

"How long have you been awake?" I ask, still unmoving from my tucked fetal position. He's playing with my hair and I think I would pay him to sit here and do it all day.

"Not long, almost half an hour." He says.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Because you needed the sleep."

I guess that's technically valid, but I feel bad for making him sit here while I slept. I mean, I'm ninety nine percent sure my head is currently in his lap and I'm not sure if it was there all night but I'd feel terrible if it was.

I slowly and reluctantly sit up, my back cracking at the movement as I stretch my arms above my head. I grab one of the pillows still at the head of the bed and slump my head back into it, still not ready to get up even though I've had enough rest to last me a couple days.

The sound of my stomach rumbling like a thunderstorm makes my eyes widen, and Harry lets out a low chuckle.

"Hungry?"