two

YEAR NINE
HOLMES CHAPEL, ENGLAND
FEBRUARY 1ST

Growing up with three sisters, Harry eventually learned that girls are always right.

Their logic, especially his sisters', was always a bit more rational and made a lot of sense. This, although it ticked him off quite a bit since they always got what they wanted, helped him in the long run.

It also applies to Lainey, he learned quicker than ever. After over two years of friendship with her so far, he's perfected her tactics and strategies for getting her way. Sometimes he'll fight the urges to cave when she asks for strawberry ice cream or answers to the maths homework, but she always wins in the end, mostly because he just wants to make her happy.

Although, on one day of the year, Harry has the upper hand.

February first.

When the pair discovered they had the same birthday, they were quick to figure out- much to Harry's delight- that he was two hours and fifty two minutes older than her.

So, on the two birthdays they've spent together since becoming friends, Harry uses it to his advantage, constantly reminding Maddie that he's older and should do what he says. She acts like she hates it, but secretly finds it ridiculously adorable and totally caves to giving him whatever he wants.

Today is no exception. Maddie was up especially bright and early- around six am- despite her dislike for waking up to an alarm, but she didn't mind today because she was too excited. She quickly got ready and gathered everything she needed before heading out to walk about two blocks to a little diner to pick up breakfast.

It was still pretty dark outside, the only light coming from the street lamps and the dim, pale glow of the rising sun that has yet to break its way through the surface of the horizon. Being the middle of February, it's freezing outside, so she stuck her hands in her pockets as her boots left footprints in the thin layer of powdery snow on the ground.

She picked up breakfast fairly quickly and wasted no time making her way to their spot by the pond. She dropped the blankets and bag of food along with Harry's presents, setting it all up neatly. She wasn't worried about anyone coming upon it and stealing because it was before seven am on a Saturday.

Once she was satisfied, she quickly began her short walk to Harry's house. He had no idea she was coming, still fast asleep without the knowledge that he's about to be woken up by his best friend.

Cassie kept her word of unlocking the back door before she went to bed last night, so Maddie was easily able to get into the house without having to make anyone wake up and let her in. She slowly crept her way up the stairs and down the hallway all the way to the last door without making a sound.

Creeping her way into Harry's room, she smiled at the familiar interior of the 80s posters- mostly Fleetwood Mac- and the clothes strewn about the floor, his bed tucked up against the far corner of the room. His blinds were shut, making the room almost completely dark if it wasn't for the rising sun.

"Wake up." Lainey said, not trying to whisper but not yelling so she didn't wake the others. He only stirred slightly, so she said the words again, this time accompanied by a whack with the nearest pillow.

"Wake up, birthday boy." She can't help but smile when he begins to groan, turning on his back and rubbing his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" He chuckles, smiling up at the girl dressed for a blizzard.

"Kidnapping you. Get up."

"I'm older today, I think-"

"Oh, shut up and put a coat on." They both laugh, and Harry complies by standing and stretching before going over to his closest and putting on some grey sweatpants and a jumper along with a beanie to cover up his messy morning hair.