twenty

double update!! read nineteen first!

tw: slight mention of abuse

HARRY'S POV

"For god's sake, can I at least get one good photo of you guys?" Mum pleads, fed up with our antics.

"Sorry mum." I say, finally standing still with my arms wrapped around Lainey's shoulders, my chest against her back.

"Thank you, goodness." Mum laughs as she holds the phone up. "Alright, I got it."

However, I don't release my arms. I stay like this with my arms around her shoulders against the backdrop, unmoving as the cool breeze blows past us in front of the setting sun just on the pink horizon.

"I want a picture!" Hayden, the ball of energy that makes up my little brother, comes bounding up to the two of us and Lainey swiftly lifts him in her arms. He's always liked her better than me.

We all smile, Mum taking more pictures of the three of us just before all of our siblings jump in, which makes for an uncoordinated photo, but it perfectly captures our stupid dynamic. Hayden soon jumps from Lainey's arms and goes bounding up to the dessert table, stealing more sweet treats as Mum scolds him for eating so many.

It's been a happy day for most people here. Everybody is thrilled for Lainey to begin her journey at uni tomorrow studying psychology, which we know she'll excel at. The day has been filled with well wishes, congratulations, and gift after gift of things like cold hard cash and essentials for her dorm.

I'm excited for her as well. I think she's going to love it up there in a new city and new surroundings. I think she'll thrive, in fact. I just don't know how I'll thrive without her.

I didn't want to be so far away. I'm not sure how it ended up that way, to be honest. It kills me knowing she'll be so far away, but that's just how it worked out and now we have to deal with it. But thinking about watching her drive away tomorrow morning is enough to literally stop my heart from beating and my blood from flowing. It's almost like I don't know how to function without her.

She's been quiet today, too. She's not overly giddy about seeing all of her family one more time before she leaves, but she's been kind enough to smile through every picture and thank each friend and family member profusely for their gifts. With her red curls tied up in a soft ponytail and wearing that stunning light pink sundress that matches the sunset, she's managed to make today her day, even though it seems like she doesn't feel like it.

Leaving your hometown and the house you've known all your life is terrifying, especially moving to a completely new city. That's what she's doing tomorrow, and I know she's eating herself up about it- different possibilities running through her head about what could go wrong.

Without fail, she is always able to ground me and my emotions, validate my feelings and make me feel valued, but when it comes to herself it's like all of that goes out the window and her mind drives her to irrational places that never benefit her.

I think that this is one of those situations.

It was until about an hour after everyone indulged in desserts and took turns at the photo booth that I realized she had disappeared. I searched for her in the backyard and in her room, even asking Cassie and Eden if they knew where she was but she had seemingly disappeared.

Therefore, I ditch the party and head where she could only be- the place we both go for...well, everything.

A happy place, a sad place, a sacred place, an angry place. If trees could talk, they would be able to tell every single one of our stories.