thirteen

MADDIE'S POV

When Sunday rolled around, I felt so much better. My sinuses had almost cleared up completely and I had more energy. I almost forgot what it was like to not be blowing my nose every ten minutes. It felt like I was couch-ridden for the longest time.

I regained my appetite slowly but surely and picked foods I knew I could keep down, and I did, thankfully. I seriously think Harry's soup was some kind of sickness-curing magic potion. I remember when his mum would make it during our childhood, but I don't remember it working that many wonders. Needless to say, I texted Harry and got the recipe and made it again.

When James got home on Sunday night, it was barely like I'd been sick. He was surprised to see me up and around because when he left I could barely get two hoarse words out without coughing. He did end up stealing the last of my soup, but I was able to eat other foods anyway so it was no big deal.

I woke up on Monday with even more energy because I was so excited to be back at work. All the rescheduling made for quite the busy week this week, but it's just what I need to make up for the mindless hours I wasted in front of the TV.

It's Tuesday today, the clock is currently ticking just past four o'clock and I just said goodbye to my last appointment for today. It was a loaded day, and I would've allowed it to go longer, but I have a haircut in thirty minutes. And after that, a bunch of us are meeting up for drinks and happy hour at a favorite pub of ours. I'm excited, Addison and Zayn will be there and I'm itching to have a fun night.

James also swore he would make it after I asked him to come so many times, so I'm also looking forward to having him be with us for the night for the first time in forever. I'm hoping and praying that he won't be in a bad mood from anything at work and that tonight can just be fun. I thankfully have a good feeling and I hope it stays that way.

"I'm headed out. You're planning on coming out tonight, right?" I say to Louis as I exit my office.

"Yep. Still set for seven?" He says, looking up from the computer.

"Yeah, and bring friends! The more the merrier." I encourage him, mostly so he'll be around people he's super comfortable with. He's come out with us before, but I always want everyone to be as comfortable as possible at louder and busier places like a pub. Tonight won't be nearly as crazy as past nights we've had before, but there's never a dead night in London bars and pubs.

"I'll ask 'em, see you then!" He yells out as I wave, making my way to the lift.

I press the button as I do every day, stepping in and pressing for the ground floor. As I arrive and step out and begin walking to the doors, my phone buzzes in my hand and I go to look at it, effectively ramming into the person entering the building that I didn't see and dropping my phone.

"I'm so sorry!" We both say at the same time as I reach down to pick up my phone, which thankfully isn't shattered.

"It's my fault, I wasn't watching where I was going-" I reply, standing up and cutting myself off when I recognize the person in front of me.

"Dakota?" I say in disbelief.

"Holy shit. No fucking way." Her jaw drops and her eyes widen, immediately recognizing me.

"Oh my god."

We both immediately go in for the hug, slightly stunned at how random this encounter is, but excited, nonetheless. It's like this building has a thing for making me and the Styles siblings reconnect. I can't say I hate it.

"How are you? God it's been so long. Way too long." She says, releasing her grip from the hug.

"I know, I'm good, what about you? Oh my god, this feels insane." I breathe out a laugh of more disbelief.