nine

this song comes in very handy for this chapter, playing it will enhance the moment!! there'll be an indication to play it :) happy reading <3

MADDIE'S POV

"I'm just saying. Two weekends in a row seems a bit excessive, and you've never had that before. It's just weird to me is all."

"Well I would change it if I could, but my boss said it's an important deal that could potentially earn millions. I have to go."

I roll my eyes as James tries to defend it to me again. His boss is sending him and a couple other employees on a last minute business trip, and they're set to leave this afternoon. These trips have never been so last minute before, so it's just confusing to me as to why this is all of a sudden when they're usually planned so far in advance.

"I don't get why you're so mad. If anything, I could get a raise out of this." He continues, looking at me like I'm crazy.

"I'm not angry. It's just frustrating because we had plans for this weekend that I was looking forward to and now you don't get back until Monday." I try to explain as I stand up from my stool, moving around the counter to clean off my plate.

"You can still do them though, I don't see what the big deal is."

"James, I was looking forward to doing them with you. That's why I'm frustrated. But I understand that you have to do this, so it's fine." I reply, scrubbing the food remnants off of the plate haphazardly.

"I'll bring you back a souvenir, okay?" He says in a sweet tone, coming around behind me to set his plate down and kissing my temple. "I'll be back before you know it, and we can do something fun next week."

"Sure." I reply, not looking at him. He makes his way to the bedroom to pack, leaving me alone in the kitchen.

I was really looking forward to tonight and tomorrow, we were going to have a night out tonight and then we have museum tickets and dinner reservations tomorrow night. It's Friday, and we haven't been able to do anything all week, and he was gone last weekend too, so I was just looking forward to spending time with him.

Lately, it just feels like he's been putting work over our relationship and I don't like it. It kind of feels like I'm an afterthought.

When I finish rinsing our plates, I decide to head out later. I have the afternoon free and James doesn't need a ride to the airport, so I need to get out and clear my head.

I wait about an hour and when James gets picked up, I leave. The weather is nice today, clear skies with warm temperatures. I drive with the windows down, not really knowing where I'm going, but just drive aimlessly. I would pop into the studio to see Addison and Eden but Addison and Zayn are up in Bradford this weekend for his mum's birthday.

I drive for twenty minutes until I come across a small outdoor market, filled with stands of fresh produce and flowers. I stop, immediately attracted to it and browse the booths for a few minutes. I stop at a stand with fresh tomatoes and vegetables and I get an idea, so I pull out my phone to call my mum.

"Hello?" She answers after only two rings.

"Hi, mum."

"Maddie, dear, how are you?"

"I'm okay, I just had a question."

"Hm?"

"Could you send me that recipe for tomato basil pasta that you have? I've just bought some fresh tomatoes and want to try to make it."