thirty six

not sure if this needs a tw or not but I'm gonna put one anyway:

TW- MILD DISCUSSION OF ALCOHOLISM

MADDIE'S POV

Silence is good, sometimes.

Being surrounded by quiet is nice, sometimes.

Quiet helps you focus, or recharge, or sleep. Sometimes.

Silence is comforting.

Sometimes.

"Ms. Cardwell, my name is Shauna and I'm calling from London Presbyterian Hospital. I'm calling on behalf of a Mr. James Parker, we have you down as his emergency contact and there's been an accident. We suggest that you try and get to the hospital as soon as possible."

Right now, all I feel is silent. All I hear is quiet.

And all it's making me feel is anything but comfort.

It almost feels like the mattress I'm sitting on is floating out from under me and I'm suspended in thin air, waiting for the moment that gravity returns and I smack against the floor with a thump.

It feels like a snake has slithered its way around my body and just started squeezing tighter and tighter...

In other words, I'm completely frozen.

"Ms. Cardwell? Are you there?" The woman from the hospital says through the phone, sucking reality back in.

My mouth is drier than the Sahara. "I- Um...yes, I'm here, I'm sorry. Uh, James was in an accident?"

James was in an accident.

"I'm afraid so. Again, we suggest you get to the hospital as soon as you're able to." She continues.

I'm still his emergency contact.

"Um...what...what kind of accident?" I mumble out quietly, pinching the bridge of my nose with my fingers.

I have to go to the hospital.

"I think it would be best for you to come to the hospital first, and then we'll be able to fill you in in person."

They can't tell me over the phone.

It feels like the snake has made its way up to my throat, and now it's choking me so tightly that I can't speak. Or breathe, for that matter.

I manage to push something out. "Um...okay. I can..." I look over to the digital clock on the bedside table with blinking red numbers. 6:45 am. I have no idea where I am in relation to London Presbyterian.

"I'll be there as soon as I can." I say, wondering if she can even make out what I'm saying with how low my voice is.

"We'll see you soon." Is all she says before the line goes dead and I'm left sitting on the edge of the bed, staring into blackness wearing nothing but Harry's shirt.

Harry.

I turn around, panic coursing through me at warp speed when he shifts in the bed and brings a hand up to rub his tired eyes.

"What's going on?" He mumbles groggily. I gulp. "Don't tell me that was Addison getting cold feet. The wedding already happened." He chuckles, still able to crack a joke when he's ten percent awake.