Getting Better All the Time

5 months later:

I stare into the ocean, everyday, hoping to see that damn boat just magically come back to me, with my brother and Sarah. Possibly stacked high with gold.

Every damn day.

Everyone says I need to stop, because i'm never going to get over it, but I can't stop, I just want to see their faces again. I want to hear their voices again.

I want them back so bad.

Funny thing, I haven't seen Rafe Cameron in months. I saw him once after the whole thing but that's it.

That's the best thing for me. I don't want to see him, ever again.

I got my shit back, my truck, clothes. Turns out the police department kept them and actually didn't just throw them in the dumpster. That was the only bright side after all the bullshit I went through.

I talked to Shoupe about the house. He told me my dad still owed rent, and almost paid it off.

You know even though they thought my brother was a killer, the whole police department didn't treat me any different. Which is good I guess.

The whole town is still scared of me though, but they're getting better. Even though my brother wouldn't of hurt a flea anyways- of course he's the cold blooded killer. Not Rafe Cameron who is known for doing coke with Barry, and is fucking psycho now.

I'm doing a lot better though. I truly am.

I didn't think it was possible.

I found the landlord who owned dads place and told him I would like to rent it out, fix it up, and make it a home again.

I got a job with Kie at the Wreck, waiting tables living off tip money.

JJ got a job too, working for a landscape company on the weekends, he really is a hard worker. I'm proud of him too.

I cleaned the house up, painted the walls, hung up pictures of my dad, John B, and even some updated ones of me and JJ, and the whole group. JJ fixed up the lawn and porch, and we repainted that too. The landlord didn't even make us pay first months rent with everything we did.

My dad and John B would be proud I hope. I finally got my shit in gear.

JJ and I live in the house now. Hopefully we will be able to pay it off within the next year. That would be fucking awesome.

After his dad found out about the Phantom, JJ's dad beat the living shit out of him, per usual. After that, he moved in the house with me and hasn't been back over there. His dad could give a shit.

Life has been pretty good. JJ and I have been together for a long ass time, haven't seen Rafe or Ward, it's just been us living our little lives on the cut. I love every bit of it. We're just missing one thing.

My brother.
———-
"Hey, what are you doing home so early?" I smile at JJ as he walks in all sweaty and dirt covered.

"It looks like it's gonna rain so my boss sent me home early." He says, kissing my forehead, "Where's Pope and Kie?"

"Haven't heard from them, they're probably still asleep. It is Saturday." I say.

"You gotta work tonight?" He asks.

"Nope, i'm off for once. Kie's dad told me to take a day to myself, and I sure am." I say holding up a 12 pack.

"Let me get one of those." JJ laughs, sitting on the couch next to me.

"You wanna go sit on the beach tonight? It seems like a nice day for November." I ask.

"Hell yeah, I'll text everyone." JJ says, leaning on my shoulder, "Wanna have a kegger?"