Redfield

We all get in the van, Kie sits up front, and I sit in the back with JJ and Pope, so I can lay my feet out. My ankle is getting more and more swollen by the minute.

"That things looking gnarly." JJ says, referencing my ankle.

"Yeah it is." I say.

" I mean, it's obvious, right?" I hear John B say from the drivers seat. "A family heirloom. What better place to hide message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?"

"Yeah. It's possible." Kie says.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels." Pope says. I give him a look, trying to say this isn't the right time, without saying anything.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels. Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it. I'm not concocting, okay?" JJ says, lighting the situation.

"My dad's trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe, John B." Kie says.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, I'm not trippin' out."

"It's okay to trip, bro, but..." JJ starts to speak

"Look, my... my dad is missing, okay? Missing.
You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering." John B says defensively

"It's been almost a year." Pope mentions.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." JJ says.

"Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere."

"Absolutely. Uh... or Atlantis."

"JJ. Look, what do you think the message is?" John B asks.

"Redfield."

"Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dad's favorite place." John B says, pulling into the gravel road, leading to the old lighthouse.

"You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B says, looking at JJ.

"Wait... Why me?"

"Because you're not coming." John B restates.

"Why?"

"There are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do." Pope says.

"Shut up!" JJ says, annoyed.

"Listen to me for a second. I need someone here to look out for cops, and someone to look out for Alanna, if something were to happen, she couldn't really do anything right now. I need you to do that for me." John B says, looking at me, getting out of the van.

"Okay man, I guess."

"Pope, you stand look out with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." John B says, walking towards the light house.

"Great." JJ scoffs.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum." Pope says.

"All right, would you just shut up already?" JJ says, kicking a rock.

I finally get balanced comfortably on my ankle, and walk a little bit.

"Where are you going?" JJ asks.

"I'm going to go lay on the bench seat JJ, it's more comfortable. chill out." I say, opening up the passenger door.