23

A few days ago I received a very surprising phone call

A few days ago I received a very surprising phone call. Never in a million years did I think that I'd be getting a call from Shawn Mendes. We exchanged numbers a while back, when Niall introduced us to each other. I figured he was just being polite, I never thought that he would ever call me.

"Hello?" I answered nervously.

Shawn instantly chuckled and I could tell he was grinning, "Hey, Béa! How are you?"

"I'm good." I answer, "How are you?"

"I'm great!" He responded, and I could hear the excitement in his voice. Silence overtook our conversation, neither of us knowing what to say.

It was quite awkward. We didn't know each other well enough to have a conversation where we could just catch up. I had no idea what to say to him. He's the one who called me, yet I have no idea why.

"Okay, so..." Shawn continued, as if he never missed a beat, "I wanted to ask you something."

"Okay?" I answered, but it sounded more like a question rather than a statement.

He got quiet for a moment, most likely trying to figure out how to word whatever it was he wanted to ask. "Would you want to come out to Los Angeles for Niall's show?"

Without thinking I responded, "What?"

Shawn chuckled again, "He really misses you, like really misses you. And a couple of us had the idea that maybe we could fly you out here to surprise him after the show and then spend the rest of his time in L.A. with us."

"I don't know." I sighed.

"We'll pay for everything, your flight, your hotel, everything." Shawn told me. "If you want, I can even fly over to London and then fly back with you so you're not alone."

"Shawn, you can't do that." I responded.

Shawn paused, "Béa, believe me when I tell you this, it will mean the world to him."

This could be a good thing. Actually, this could be a great thing. I don't necessarily want to have to fly all the way to Los Angeles, but it's worth it if it means I'll get to spend time with Niall. I'd almost be stupid not to go.

It almost lined up perfectly with my trip back home to France. I was originally planning on going in a few weeks, but extending the trip doesn't seem like a bad idea. I could go from Los Angeles back home rather than going back to London then home to France.

"Okay." I give in, "But, you're not flying to London just to fly back to L.A."

"Yes!" He cheered. "I'll text you all the details.

I know I swore off flying to the U.S. after the unimaginably long and boring flights to San Francisco, but I don't know if it was the fact that I would get to see Niall again or Shawn's amazing persuasion. Regardless, a few days later, I found myself on yet another unimaginable long and boring flight. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it means spending more time with Niall.