14

Nothing about the house had changed from the last time I was home

Nothing about the house had changed from the last time I was home. Everything looks exactly the same, from the furniture to the decorations. There were scuffs on the floor from the furniture being moved around a lot. I could tell that my mother moved the furniture often. Usually, in the summer, she would move the couch to be near the window. In the winter, the couch was moved to be across from the fireplace and, during the holidays she moved everything around again to fit the Christmas tree in front of the window.

It's surprising to me that things look so similar to how they were during my last visit. It almost seemed like no time had passed.

Mum was sure to give Niall a tour of the bottom floor of the house, making sure to point out every little detail that had a story to it.

"This is from when Béatrice lost her balance on her roller skates" or "Right here was where Béatrice painted on the wall and we had to cover it up," She'd tell him.

I just followed behind them and Niall would turn around every so often with a content look on his face, knowing that now he'll have things to taunt me with. I probably have it coming though.

Eventually I excused myself out to the car to get mine and Niall's bags, I could tell he was enjoying getting to talk to my mother. Quite frankly, I couldn't take hearing anymore embarrassing stories about myself.

It felt strange being back home. Being able to stand on the front porch, looking out at the grassy field where I used to play as a child. Part of me wished I would have never let my mother convince me to move away. But then again, I would have never met Celina or even Niall if I hadn't left France.

I take my time bringing our bags inside, so that I can take in everything around me. From the cracked pavement leading up to the porch to the sound of the birds chippering away in the trees.

Eventually, I make my way back inside just looking around at everything. This time I was really looking, paying attention to small details. It's surreal almost. I'm here, but at this moment it doesn't seem real.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I hear my mother's voice getting closer.

"Béatrice, why don't you show Niall the upstairs?" Mum tells me, her and Niall walking out of the kitchen. They stop in front of the stairs, next to where I had set both mine and Niall's suitcases.

"Sure." I say, reaching to grab the suitcases, but Niall grabs them before I can.

"You can both stay in Béatrice's old room. Or I can prepare the guest room, puisque tu n'es que des amis [since you're 'just friends']." She says, waiting to see how I react.

"I'm fine staying with Béa." Niall says, falling into my mother's trap. He confirmed what she was already assuming, that there was something between us.

"Alright then." She smiles, "Go get settled in. I'll start on dinner."

Niall and I start up the stairs, him going first with me following behind. I don't get too far before Mum stops me.