35

Standing outside of this coffee shop, the thought of running the opposite way is prominent in my mind

Standing outside of this coffee shop, the thought of running the opposite way is prominent in my mind. I could run, sprint even. I could get on the next flight out of California and plan to never see him again. But I would never. I've considered standing Niall up countless times this morning, but I can't seem to bring myself to go through with it.

It's not that I don't want to see him or that I can't stand him, it's quite the opposite. I want to run right into his arms and act like the last few months never happened. But I know I can never do that.

I'm not in a place in my life where I can do that. It's not fair to either of us if I just act like everything is fine and all is forgiven. I need to focus on getting myself back to a place where I can let myself be that way with another person again. And when I am ready, I hope that person is still Niall.

So until then, I'm going to be unbreakable. Or at least I'm going to make him think that I am.

Swallowing my nervousness, I open the door and step inside. I didn't spot him right away, but he must have seen me the second I stepped inside. Maybe he saw me through the giant glass windows talking myself out running away, I'd rather not know. But he definitely sees me now.

He starts to stand to come to meet me at the door, but I don't let him. I try my best to look confident as I make my way over to his table, but I know he sees right through me. He always has.

A polite smile appears on his face as I take a seat across from him, "Hi, Béa."

Pressing my lips together, I send a small nod his way.

My mind is a jumbled mess as I sit across from him, everything in me is telling me to go. I shouldn't be here. But I am.

Time to deal with something I wished to push off forever.

Too bad I don't have Shawn or Camila to hide behind today, although I know both of them would be here in an instant if I needed them.

The waitress comes over and asks if I would like anything and I decline. The young girl, probably in her late teens at most, goes back behind the counter. I watch as she whispers to some of the other girls working and they no doubt know exactly who I am and who Niall is.

Fucking perfect.

T-minus half an hour until this is all over the internet.

I better not start crying and have it plastered across every tabloid in America.

"I saw that that article got released." Niall says, after taking a large sip of his drink, "Are you okay?"

I nod, "I came to terms with everything that happened a long time ago."

"I figured," He begins, "But are you okay?"

I'd be better if we weren't doing this right now.

His eyes are focused downward, and I follow his line of vision to where my hands rest on the table. He was watching as I subconsciously spun the ring on my pointer finger around and around.