12

The sound of someone knocking on my door pulled my mind out of its focus on the projector screen

The sound of someone knocking on my door pulled my mind out of its focus on the projector screen. The knocks were frantic, and it was almost alarming considering I wasn't expecting for anyone to come over tonight. It has to be someone I know, though, because only a few people have the security code to get up here. I reach for the remote and pause the golf tournament I was rewatching. I make my way over to my door and turn the lock. As I swing the door open, I'm immediately met with a familiar face. However, her usual playful smile was missing.

"Béa? What are you doing here?" I ask, leaning against the door frame.

She looks very disheveled, wearing a cropped tank top and a pair of cotton shorts. Béa didn't seem like one to just show up unannounced. Before she came over, she always sent me a message or called me on her way. She didn't seem like herself. She didn't giggle when I swung open the door, like she typically would have. She didn't make a sarcastic remark about my house slippers or joke about me watching golf.

"I've had a really, really rough night, and I've got some wine..." She says holding up a bottle of red wine, "And we need to talk."

I can't help but glance down to notice that she wasn't wearing any shoes. "Where's your shoes?"

She immediately looks down at her shoeless feet and then back up to me. I can tell by the way her expression changes that she's reached her breaking point. Her hands fly up to cover her face as the tears begin to fall from her eyes.

"Hey, hey. C'mere. It's okay." I tell her, lightly pulling her into me. I take the bottle of wine from her and set it on the small table next to my keys. She instantly nuzzles her face into my chest as she sobs. Her arms wrap around my back and press into my shoulder blades. I wrap my arms around her back and I bring one of my hands up to hold the back of her head. "It's okay."

We stand like that for a while, with me comforting her through whatever was bothering her. Part of me feels like I caused this by mentioning her lack of shoes, but I know Béa. She doesn't let little things upset her. I wish I could take away whatever was bothering her, I don't like seeing her like this. All I can do right now is be here for her and help her get through whatever this is.

"I'm so sorry." She finally says between sobs.

I sigh, lightly rubbing her back, "You've got nothing to be sorry about, Béa." Her breath quivers as she sharply inhales, and she pulls herself closer into me. I lightly brush my thumb back and forth on her back as a way to try and comfort her more. "What's wrong, baby?" I ask her.

"I-I can't tell you." She says, trying to calm her breathing.

"You can tell me anything." I remind her.

She shakes her head, "No, not this. You'll hate me."

I frown, "Béa, I'd never hate you. You don't have to tell me if you don't have to. I just want to be here for you."