Chapter 2 - survival of the fittest

It has almost been four years since that fateful day that I took matters into my hand. That day I choose to open the cage and take my freedom back from me.

I have changed tremendously during the past four years. I had to learn to survive on my own and face a lot of hardships but hey, I'm still alive and going strong.

That week when I left I just kept on running, only stopping for water or a bunny to keep my energy high.

It was tough, especially in the beginning, but I managed. Rogues don't live long, I know that. We have no pack to protect us, we have no pack to snuggle into when it gets cold or we have no companionship.

But you know what, I don't care. I felt better than ever and I wasn't always alone. I have met fellow rogues, some were better than others.

One who accompanied me regularly was a rogue named Sam. He only stayed for as long as I allowed him to. Sometimes I just needed my own space.

I had been on the move for the past two days, so I hadn't seen him yet. But I'm sure he'll follow my scent soon and find me again.

I found this cave next to a small lake, it was perfect. For sure I'll be coming here more often. It didn't smell like any other wolf so I knew it wasn't claimed either.

I carried a small bag with limited necessities. I shifted back to my human form and unpacked some of those necessities. I pulled on the clothes so I wasn't wearing Adams and Eves clothing style and had some cloth covering me. They were old though, I have to go steal some new shit.

Maybe I can even steal some shampoo or something. I hadn't washed my hair in months and it was tangled as hell. I combed my fingers through it sometimes but it wasn't effective as a brush.

Even so, I wouldn't trade this life back to the one I had before. I felt so free and in control.

It was two days after I had settled that I heard some rustling in one of the bushes. It had me on high alert and made me growl softly, the person was downwind so I couldn't smell who it was.

Out of the bushes jumped a brown wolf which I recognized. I calmed down immediately and greeted him by licking his muzzle, he did the same to me. It was my friend Sam.

"Took you long enough." I mind-linked him.

"You travel fast and you roll it mud and shit so it is hard to track you! I found you only because I have been with you so much and memorized your smell." He sounded a bit grumpy.

It made me laugh in my head, I bumped my head into him and walked past his body until my tail teased his face. "Someone hasn't been laid for a few days, you sound so frustrated." I liked teasing him.

And maybe this is where I tell you that Sam isn't just a friend. He isn't more than that either, it's more like friends with benefits. I'm a twenty-year-old with needs as well so sue me.

Sam wasn't as dominant as a male, he was pretty small for a male as well. That's probably why I allowed him to stay with me so much. I didn't like the controlling types, they reminded me of my past.

"Don't tease me, Luci!"  His paw playfully touched my face and then he closed in on me.

I nipped at him and then lured him to my cave so we could have a little bit of fun tonight.

...

...

The next morning we had shifted into our human forms and we washed in the lake. I watched Sam emerge from the water after me, his black hair was messy just like mine and he had a black beard as well. "Maybe we can steal a razor?" I asked, I could use a shave here and there too. Maybe use it to cut the knots out of my hair as well.