Chapter 31 - deication to a vow

I may have made a mistake by howling and giving away my location. Leonardo's tracking skills were top-notch, so he likely had an idea of where I was even before I howled.

My exact location was a mystery to me, and I had no clue about the proximity of Declan's pack. Despite the uncertainty, I still let out a loud howl, even though the strain on my vocal cords was intense. I hoped against hope that Declan would catch wind of my call.

A response echoed, and I abruptly halted, turning my head to pinpoint the source. Sniffing the freezing air, confusion set in. Did that response come from behind me? I was certain I had been running in the right direction, so how could this be possible?

I had a feeling it was Declan; it was like my mate's voice recognition kicked in. He had promised he was on his way. If I were in my human form, tears might have welled up – he hadn't given up on finding me.

Despite the risk of Leo catching up if I turned back, I couldn't stop. With a heavy heart, I pushed myself to keep running. I needed to endure as long as possible.

Finally, a change in scenery emerged from the sea of trees and snow-laden branches. A distant sight caught my eye – smoke rising, similar to the wisps from cozy fireplaces. The catch, however, was that my path now led uphill, adding an extra layer of challenge to my already exhausting run.

As I approached, I couldn't help but notice numerous smoky clouds hanging in the air, like folks stoking their wood fires for warmth. But it wasn't just one; it was multiple, a whole pack. The question lingered – should I take the risk? Perhaps they'd offer protection, but it all depended on the circumstances. Were they allied with Declan? Maybe even part of my old pack?

Without second-guessing, I dashed into the village. Wolves are naturally protective, so it didn't take long for me to be noticed. Soon enough, I found myself encircled by guards or warriors from this newfound pack.

Quickly, I shifted back to my human form to signal that I meant no harm. Thankfully, my scent carried the mark of a pack, not that of a rogue. "I'm in desperate need of shelter," I called out, my voice carrying the urgency. "I must speak with your Alpha."

A larger wolf, brown-spotted and emanating a commanding presence, stepped forward. It was clear that this wolf held the role of Alpha. Shifting into his human form, a middle-aged figure in his prime emerged. "Your name and pack?" he inquired, his gaze steady and inquisitive.

The Alpha, now in his human form, possessed a commanding presence, his stature reflecting both strength and experience. With a middle-aged countenance that carried the weight of wisdom, he stood tall and confident. His darker skin tone showed no single wrinkle yet, but he had scars on his arms. His dark eyes, keen and steady, revealed a leader who had weathered challenges and emerged in his prime.

L-Lucy," I stammered, the uncertainty evident in my voice, realizing my name alone wouldn't secure me shelter. "My father leads the Hardings pack, and I'm the soon-to-be Luna of the Sullivan pack. Please, I'm desperate for your help."

I craved safety, if only until he caught up with me. "You're the kidnapped Luna..." the Alpha noted, his words carrying a mix of recognition and concern. He turned to his left, swiftly issuing orders. One of them was to reach out to Declan and my father.

It wasn't my ideal scenario, but choices were a luxury I couldn't afford at the moment. "I'm Zeff. Are you being followed?" the Alpha inquired, his gaze focused on the urgency of the situation.

"Most likely," I replied, the uncertainty evident in my voice.

Zeff, the Alpha, nodded in understanding. "I appreciate your honesty, Lucy, but I can't risk the safety of my pack by letting you stay. However, I'm willing to offer you a companion who can guide you to safety." His eyes conveyed a sense of responsibility, revealing a leader who carefully weighed the well-being of his pack.