Chapter 5

I need time. 

I need peace and quiet. 

I need time for myself, to deal with my past and to heal. 

I need to heal.

"I want that cabin at the edge of your territory."

Declan was taken aback by my sudden announcement. It was a deal we had made long ago, a silent agreement born out of necessity – I behave, and I would be granted the sanctuary of living at the edge of his territory. But now, as I voiced my desire to return to that arrangement, I could see the hesitation in his eyes, the uncertainty lingering in the air.

"I don't think that's the-" Declan began, his words faltering as I interrupted him, my voice firm and resolute.

"Declan," I interjected, my tone leaving no room for argument.

I pleaded with my eyes, silently begging him to understand, to see the desperation etched on my face. And to my relief, after a moment of hesitation, he relented.

"Okay," he replied, his voice tinged with vulnerability, his gaze meeting mine with a mixture of understanding and apprehension.

Alani spoke up, her voice filled with concern. "A Luna shouldn't live at the edge of their territory," she argued, her eyes flickering between Declan and me. "It's not safe, it's not proper..."

But before she could finish her argument, I felt a surge of anger rising within me. How dare she question my choices, my desires? "Alani," I snapped, my voice cutting through the tension in the room. "This is not your decision to make."

Declan shot me a warning glance, a silent plea for restraint, but I couldn't hold back the torrent of emotions that flooded through me. "This is our deal," I continued, my voice trembling with anger and frustration. "And it's my choice."

Alani opened her mouth to protest, but I cut her off before she could utter another word. "You have no say in this," I spat, my voice dripping with venom. "This is between me and Declan, and no one else."

Declan's expression softened, his eyes filled with sympathy as he placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Lucille's right," he said firmly, his gaze meeting Alani's with a steely resolve. "This is our decision, and we've made it together."

Alani huffed, but she knew I was right. ''Start thinking with your head instead of your cock.'' She spat at her brother. 

I couldn't help but let out a low whistle, impressed by the boldness of Alani's words. It's one way to speak to your brother like that, but your Alpha? Damn girl. Declan also was surprised but knew his sister better than I did. ''Go cool off, Ali.'' 

She rolled her eyes but did as told and turned around to leave. She was fueled with anger and yet, she lightly tugged the door close as she stomped off.  

I glanced at Declan, a sense of gratitude washing over me. "Thanks," I murmured, appreciating his support in the face of my impulsive decision.

He nodded slowly, his expression thoughtful. "We'll talk it through when we get back home, so let's go?" he suggested, gesturing towards the door.

As we exited the office, I couldn't shake the nagging thought about Sam's situation. "When is Sam getting released?" I inquired, my concern for my friend evident in my voice.

"If he continues to be on good behavior, I think it'll be soon," Declan replied, his tone reassuring.

I paused, considering the options. "Can he stay?" I asked, a flicker of hope igniting within me. "He doesn't have a pack."

Declan offered me a reassuring smile. "We'll find a suitable home for him, don't worry about that, Lucille.'' 

...

After our visit to the camp we went back to the Sullivan pack. Declan and I settled down for some serious talk about my future cabin. I emphasized that I wanted it cozy, not some mansion-sized monstrosity. I needed a snug space to retreat to when the chaos of pack life becomes too much. Sometimes, being part of a pack feels like having a boulder sitting on your chest, you know?

Back at the pack, as soon as I stepped foot in, Abel and Joshua were on my tail, asking about where I went and why. They also asked about Eline. Ugh, just the mention of her name had me grumbling and shooting Declan a glare. "I'm so over that therapy nonsense. It's like talking to a brick wall," I complained. ''I won't do it with her anymore.'' 

Then Abel hit me with those infamous puppy eyes. "Come on, start training with me," he pleaded, and I swear I could feel my resolve crumbling like a stale cookie. He pleaded once more, with even bigger puppy eyes than before.

 With one final groan, I caved. "Fine, fine! But just a little, got it?"

Abel seemed to gleam at that and i swear I noticed Declan's lip tugging up in the corner of my eye. 

Just when I thought I might finally catch a break, fate had other plans in store for me. A pack member came barreling towards Declan, panic etched across her face. She was younger, clad in our standard patrol uniform, easy to shift out of in case of emergency. 

The female member was a petite young woman, her slender frame moving with an air of urgency. Her long blond hair cascaded down her back in two neat braids, adorned with delicate fringes that framed her face. Despite the tension in the air, her features retained a softness, accentuated by high cheekbones that added a touch of elegance to her appearance.

Her eyes, a darker shade of green, sparkled with a hint of nervous energy as she delivered her message. Plump lips formed the words with a sense of urgency, yet there was an undeniable sweetness in her expression.

Declan turned to her, concern evident in his expression as he inquired about the urgency of her arrival. ''Tell me what's wrong, Nova?'' 

Taking a deep breath, the pack member cast a nervous glance between Declan and me before delivering the bombshell. "Alpha Harding and Luna Harding are en route to the packhouse, demanding to speak with Luna," she reported, her voice trembling slightly. "We couldn't hold them back."

My blood boiled hotter than a pot on a stove, and that's saying something. This was a level of rage I hadn't experienced in ages. The mere mention of my tormentors, my own parents, sent a surge of anger coursing through my veins. I hadn't laid eyes on them in over four years, and I hadn't exactly been yearning for a reunion.

Part of me wanted to avoid them like the plague, but another part, perhaps the stubborn one, wanted to confront them. I wanted to show them just how strong I'd become, and it certainly wasn't thanks to them.