Chapter 4

Meeting Sam was a balm to my soul, a comforting presence in the midst of chaos. As we strolled outside the confines of the camp, the glow of the setting sun painted the sky in hues of pink and orange, casting a warm, ethereal light over the landscape. The air was filled with the faint scent of smoke from the campfires, mingling with the earthy aroma of the surrounding forest.

We walked in silence for a while, lost in our thoughts, the only sounds the soft crunch of gravel beneath our feet and the distant chatter of voices from the camp. Sam reached into his pocket and pulled out a small vial of Liyu paste, a reminder of the dangers we faced together. He still took it faithfully, following the instructions I had given him after he was poisoned with silver by Geoff.

As we talked, memories of our time together flooded back – the battles we fought, the laughter we shared, and the bonds we forged in the heat of adversity. But amidst the reminiscing, there was a shadow of sadness, a reminder of the losses we had endured.

I spoke of Belle, the female who was brought in alongside us, only to meet her end with Geoff. I told Sam of her betrayal, how she had turned against us when we least expected it. His expression mirrored my own disbelief and heartache. He had liked her too. 

Finding solace against the rough wooden surface of the shed, we watched as the alarm was once again going off. Alani must ave informed Declan of my arrival. A large dark wolf trotted into view, searching around for me. 

"He's like a lost puppy looking for you," Sam remarked, a hint of amusement in his voice. He then turned to me, curiosity shining in his eyes. "How are things between you and Alpha?"

I sighed, the weight of responsibility heavy on my shoulders. "I don't know, fine, I guess," I replied, uncertainty creeping into my voice. "But being Luna comes with its own challenges, especially when you're paired with one that has his duties as Alpha."

Sam furrowed his brow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

I swallowed hard, the words catching in my throat. With a trembling hand, I pointed to my belly, the source of so much pain and anguish. "A doctor confirmed that I'm pretty much barren," I admitted, the truth hanging heavy in the air. "So, no little ones for me."

am's casual remark cut through the heavy atmosphere like a knife, his words echoing in the silence that followed. "There are ways around that always, potions, witchcraft," he suggested, his tone nonchalant.

I couldn't help but feel a surge of frustration at his flippant attitude. With a sharp slap to his arm, I shot him a reproachful glare. "Don't say it so casually," I scolded him, my voice tinged with irritation. "Everything comes with a cost. There are herbs for fertility, yes, but it's not a miracle potion. What's damaged can't be healed. And witchcraft? That's a dangerous path to go down."

As Sam rubbed the spot where I had slapped him, he exaggerated a pained expression, pretending as if my slap had truly stung. "Damn, you're still aggressive, girl," he teased, his playful manner eliciting a weary sigh from me.

His attempt to lighten the mood with humor was appreciated, but it did little to ease the weight of my concerns. I knew he meant well, offering reassurance in his own way, but the reality of my situation still loomed large.

"Yeah, I'll figure something out," he continued, his tone more serious now. "And if you don't, then there's always enough kids that need to be adopted."

His words struck a chord within me, stirring a mix of emotions – gratitude for his unwavering support, but also a sense of resignation at the limitations of my circumstances. Adoption was indeed a noble option, a chance to provide a loving home to a child in need. But deep down, I couldn't shake the longing for something more, something that was truly mine.