Chapter 14

At 3 am, Manik woke up. He drank some water and was about to sleep back when he noticed Nandini is awake. Manik went to Nandini, pulled a chair and sat near her.

Nandini - I want some water.

Manik - Just a minute. (Manik poured some water into a glass for Nandini and then helped Nandini to get up and sit) Here. (he helped her to drink water)

Manik put the glass on the table, came back and sat beside her.

Manik - Why are you still sitting? Go to sleep, now.

Nandini - NO.

Manik - Fine (nodded his head and sighed)

They both got quiet. Manik kept staring at Nandini who was continuously staring at the moon through the window.

After about 5 minutes.....

Manik - (held Nandini's hand in his hands and asked softly) Say, were you afraid?

Nandini didn't reply and kept on staring at him innocently. No one spoke for minutes.

Manik - Fine, let's not talk about this but Nandini, see, it's already too late. You better sleep now.

They both were just looking at each other when Nandini suddenly hugged Manik tightly, Manik held her and started patting her. Nandini started crying without making a sound, Manik realised but didn't speak up.

Nandini - (she kept hugging him, weeping and speaking) I..I.. was too afraid, Manik. It was like that...that.. death was just a little far from me, the death was there asking me...  asking me to come with it. You know, I had a flashback of my life till now. I was afraid, I..l...would never be able to see you again. (tears rolled down from Manik's eyes) I was...I was.. afraid of losing you... The fear I faced today, I have never been through one such, before. Manik, I was about to die.....

Manik - Shsh. (he hugged her more tightly, wiping his tears to not let Nandini see him like that) Silly girl. Don't be afraid of losing me. That's never gonna happen. I am here, Always With You! (kissed her head and hugged her tightly)

Nandini started to get stable. She was quite fine now.

Manik made her lie down. He held her hand with one and kept running his fingers through her hair with the other. Nandini was quite relaxed now.

Around four in the morning, Nandini fell asleep.

It was eight already, Kabir and their friends reached there. Manik and Nandini were still asleep. Nandini was in her bed while Manik was sitting on a chair beside her with his head on the bed. No one woke them up instead just settled themselves on the sofa and chair. After about 15 minutes, Manik woke with a jerk. He saw sunlight coming from the window at Nandini's face. He got up and stood on the other side blocking the sunlight when he noticed others there. Nandini woke up too. Manik was looking tired. His face was quite swollen.

Kabir - Manik, didn't you sleep well? You are looking a lot tired.

Nandini - (after looking at Manik) Kabir, take Manik to the dorm, he needs to sleep now.... He slept on the chair... holding my hand. His arm and back muscles must be sore. Take him!

Manik - I am all fine, Nandini. I don't need to go to the dorm.

Nandini and Kabir - Then, why's your face swollen?

Nandini - Manik.., please go and rest now. I am fine here.

Navya - Right (while getting up)  Manik, you go and rest. I will stay here with Nandini today.