5 | menacing challenge

"You are all bark and not bite, Crouch," Angela said pointedly, her arms crossed over her chest. She was unfazed by the attempt of the menacing glare he held her under, "You're a coward."

"Fine," he snarled, "Midnight. Astronomy Tower."

Angela heard the footsteps approaching as she stated the boy down, "Astronomy Tower it is then."

"Everything alright, Crouch?" Regulus greeted, his gaze flickering from his friend to Angela for a brief moment.

"Everything is just fine," he replied, his sight set on Angela, "I'll see you at midnight and we'll decide which one of us is really all talk."

"Midnight?" Regulus inquired, panic flashing in his eyes for a brief moment. "What's at midnight?"

"Our duel," Crouch explained as he turned to look at Regulus, "You'll be my second?"

He quickly wiped any surprise from his expression as he nodded, "Yeah, I'll do it."

Angela rolled her eyes and she started toward the Gryffindor common room. She could hear those who had seen the interaction occur whisper as she passed by.

Regulus caught up to her with ease, grabbing her arm and pulling her into an empty hallway. "You really are an idiot."

"Screw off, Black," she suggested. "Shouldn't you be with your friend preparing for the duel?"

He rolled his eyes, "I warned you to back off."

"And I told you I could handle myself."

"Not only is it against school rules but it's illegal."

"Since when did you care whether something was legal or not?"

"Angela, listen to me," he pleaded, looking around to make sure no one was watching them. "You are no match for him. This has nothing to do with skill level, this has to do with what he is willing to do to prove a point."

"I'll be fine," she countered before she pulled her arm out of his grasp and started away from him.

"Potter!" he called after her but she had already started back down the hall. He looked around, running a hand through his hair, "Shit."

By the time she made it back to the common room, word had already spread throughout the school about the alleged duel happening at midnight. She wasn't quite sure how news had traveled so fast given that she was only sidetracked for a few minutes.

"Angela!" Trevor shouted as he ran toward the girl. "Is it real? Are you really dueling Barty Crouch Jr.?"

"I-"

"You can't do it, Angie," Lily insisted, "It's too dangerous."

"I think it's badass," America added and Lily glared at the girl.

"I'm not-"

"Angela!" her brother called out and the girl let out a huff of defeat. She turned to look at him as he made his way over to her, anger clear in his tone. "Have you lost your mind?" James hissed as he grabbed his sister's arm and pulled her away from the group of Gryffindor's who had surrounded her. "You cannot duel Crouch!"

She raised an eyebrow, yanking her arm away from him, "I wasn't aware that I was asking for your permission."

"This is a terrible idea," he informed her. "You're going to get hurt!"

She rolled her eyes, "I appreciate your faith in me, big brother. Makes me feel real confident in my abilities."

"Crouch is ruthless!" he stated. "He has no qualms with using Dark Arts. Given the chance, he will kill you."

She crossed her arms over her chest defiantly, "Then I won't give him the chance."

"You can't know how this is going to play out," he reminded her with a pointed expression.

Angela huffed, "Are you going to be my second or not?"

He shook his head, "What?"

"My second," she repeated. "Because if not, I'll ask Sirius or America or something."

He shook his head, "I'm not going to sit back and watch you get yourself killed."

She scoffed, "Got it. I'll see you in the morning, James. Alive and well. And victorious."

"Angela!" he called out after her but she was already gone. He let out a groan as he ran his hand through his hair. "Damn it!" he exclaimed, ramming his fist into the wall out of anger.

"James," Lily said, grabbing his attention. He whirled around on her and she could see the anger swimming in his eyes. Her gaze flickered down to his fist and she frowned, "Let's get you to Madam Pomfrey and get that checked out."

He begrudgingly agreed and followed the redhead from the common room.

"Merlin, she's such a bloody idiot," James huffed as they made their way through the school. "I can't believe she would actually think she had a chance. That she-"

"Potter."

"That she thinks she will be able to beat him-"

"Potter."

"She doesn't understand that-"

"James!"

He stopped walking and turned to face the girl in exasperation, "What?"

"Angela is a smart and talented wizard," she reminded him, "She would never agree to something she thought would put her in danger."

"She's naive!" he exclaimed. "She never thinks anything through! She's going to get herself killed!"

"As opposed to you?" Lily inquired. "Last I checked, you've never thought anything through. Ever."

"This is different," he shook his head.

"Tell me this James," she requested, "If Crouch had confronted you, would you have done anything differently?"

"Damn it," he huffed, "I hate when you do that."

"Do what?"

He sighed but smiled slightly despite himself, "Make sense."

"Let's get your hand cleaned up so that you can go be there for your sister."