37 | tormentor's perspective

When Regulus realized it was time to return to school again, he was almost relieved. He found that he no longer enjoyed the breaks at home. Not that he was thrilled in general, but recently they were worse.

And being that close to him all of the time made his arm burn in a way he couldn't describe in words. But it felt like it was on fire and there was no putting it out.

Regulus was hardly paying attention as Adhara practically dragged him through the train. All he could think about was Angela. It would make the most sense for her not to attend school this year so he was safe from any potential awkward interactions but he still wondered. Was she okay? Has she recovered? That one conversation they had had wasn't exactly illuminating.

And what about Sirius? Was he smart enough to stay away? Or did he think that because of what Regulus had done for Angela that things would be different at school?

"This one ought to be empty," Adhara said as she slid the door open, "Oh, we're sorry-"

Regulus was pulled from his thoughts and his eyes widened when he saw that it wasn't empty and that Angela was in the compartment. And she was alone. The second she saw who it was, she was quick to stand up. Barty reacted within seconds, pushing past Adhara and Regulus with ease. Regulus almost reached forward to grab him but stopped himself, "Crouch, let it go."

"I'm through listening to your reasoning, Black," Crouch spat as he towered over the girl. Regulus's hands were clenched at his sides as he resisted the urge to do something. To do anything. "She's mine. Just as she should have been all along."

"Is it that you enjoy being humiliated, Barthelemew?" Angela taunted as she stepped closer to the boy. Was she out of her mind? Did she not understand that he would kill her without a second thought? He had only learned more in the past few months and he wouldn't hesitate to hurt her. Or to kill her. "You really are a masochist, aren't you?" Crouch drew his wand, pressing the tip to her throat without hesitation. "Do it," she said, without fear, "Or are you a coward like your friend?"

Angela stood up on her tiptoes, the wand digging deeper into her throat. There was a spot of blood forming and Regulus scolded himself. He truly was a coward and he always would be. The girl whispered something to Crouch and it was clear that whatever she was saying, only worsened the situation.

Adhara placed her hand on Regulus's arm, pulling him from his thoughts. He looked down at her and she had her wand drawn. He paled, "What are you doing?"

"It's going to be okay," was all she said. She waved her wand, "Expelliarmus!"

The wand flew from the boy's hand and Angela reacted quickly. "Incarcerous," she said and the ropes flew from her wand. Regulus stared in awe as they delicately wrapped around Crouch. He had almost forgotten how beautiful her magic was. It was enchanting.

"You're dead, you blood traitor," Crouch seethed.

"Oh, please," she rolled her eyes, "You're not the first person to say that and you certainly won't be the last."

Regulus could feel his heart drop in his chest. This was all his fault. Everything. And yet, he still couldn't do anything. Or more accurately, he wouldn't do anything.

"Angela!" A familiar voice shouted and Regulus couldn't help but feel relieved. James forced his way into the compartment. "Oh," he looked around, "Well, you had this one handled." He turned to look behind him and as his gaze passed over Regulus, the disgust on his face was clear. He quickly masked it, "I suppose congratulations are in order."

"Prongs!" another person exclaimed and Regulus jumped.

Sirius made his way into the room and Angela rolled her eyes, "And now it's a party."

"What are all of these snakes doing in our compartment?" Sirius demanded and Regulus could tell he was looking everywhere but at him. He supposed that was a good thing. He was, however, surprised by how it actually hurt.

"Oh, they were just leaving, Pads," James explained as he looked at Regulus, "Weren't you?"

Crabbe and Goyle turned around to find that Remus and Peter were standing behind them. Regulus glanced backward for a moment. His gaze flickered to Angela who appeared as though she could care less before looking up at James. "I suppose so."

"Oh, you-" Crouch began but Regulus let out an agitated huff. He pulled out his wand and in two swift movements, he was released from his binds and his mouth was sealed shut.

Regulus then summoned the boy's wand before he spoke, "The blood traitor is Head Boy now. We'll have to tread more carefully." He glanced at Angela for the briefest moment before the Slytherin's departed from the compartment.

The group made their way through the train and Adhara grabbed Regulus pulling him to the back of the group.

"That was her, wasn't it?" she asked him.

"What?"

"The girl everyone has been talking about," she elaborated. "The one you told me about? That's her?"

"Er-"

"It's okay," she waved off, "I was just wondering."

"Look, I-"

"Reg, it's okay," she repeated. "I get it. That feeling doesn't just go away. You just need to be more careful."

Regulus let out a breath, "I know, it's just..."

She smiled sadly, "I know."