54 | regulus's goodbye

Regulus stared out across the water that surrounded him. He wasn't entirely sure how this worked, but he got the general gist of it. The one thing he knew for certain was that this was the end for him. He had come to accept this ending a while ago.

Angela had encompassed his every thought since he'd taken away her memories. He had seen her around school, but she walked past as though she had no idea who he was. It was painful, a stab in the chest over and over again and he was the one holding the dagger. A small part of him had wanted to go see her, to tell her goodbye, but that wouldn't have been fair. She would live the rest of her life without him, and she would have the life she deserved and more. A life she would never have been able to have with him.

A part of him felt a sense of irony, as he did this. He thought back to the muggle book that Angela had always carried around. Romeo and Juliet, it had been called. They had both died in the end. Only in this version, Romeo would pass, and Juliet would live on, none the wiser. It took him a moment to shake the thoughts from his mind and with it, any hesitation he had.

"Kreacher, listen to me," Regulus said, kneeling so he was closer to the house elf's height. He placed a hand on his companion's shoulder. "I am going to drink this water, and no matter what, you won't let me stop. You will force me to drink the water until it's empty. Then you'll grab whatever is inside and destroy it, okay?" He paused for a moment, "And whatever you do, you will not come back here, do you understand?"

"But, Master Regulus-"

"You won't come back here," he ordered, standing up. Kreacher seemed upset but didn't argue. Regulus walked over to the basin. For Sirius. For Angela. He would do this for them, and hopefully, they'd be able to defeat Voldemort once and for all. He raised the shell to his mouth, hesitating for only a brief moment before tilting his head back, and downing the liquid.

His last moments were painful, a sort of agony you had to experience to understand. He wouldn't wish it upon his worst enemy. Kreacher did exactly as requested, with tears in his eyes. And Regulus, delirious from the potion, was so thirsty, he had touched the water. Upon touching the water, he was pulled under by the Inferi, joining them to rot in eternal darkness forever.