41 | angela potter must die

"Slug Club?" Angela spoke in confusion as she held the invitation in front of her. "What in the bloody hell is 'Slug Club'?"

"No way!" Peter exclaimed. "You got an invite, too?"

"It would appear that way," she replied, "But what is it exactly?"

"It's Slughorn's club for the best of the best," Sirius explained as he sat on the couch next to her, draping his arm around her shoulders, "Your brother and I were invited last year."

"Really?" she inquired as she looked at the invite again, "Well, if you managed to get in, it can't be that much of a feat."

He narrowed his eyes at her, "I'm going to let that one pass for your sake. Are you going?"

"Going to what?" James asked the pair.

"Our dearest sister has been offered an invitation to Slug Club," Sirius explained before Angela could.

"Oh, that's right," he replied, "That would be starting again, wouldn't it?"

"He's been a bit all over the place," Sirius explained to the girl. "Between Head Boy duties and Quidditch Captain-"

"James isn't the Quidditch Captain this year," she interrupted.

"Yes, he is," Sirius replied in confusion, "He told me so himself."

James cringed at this and Angela grinned, "Your friend is a liar."

"What?" he gaped.

"I'm Quidditch Captain this year," she explained. "And everyone has to try out all over again. It's not an automatic pass over."

Sirius narrowed his eyes on James and he put his hands up in surrender. "I'm sorry, okay?" He apologized. "I was told not to tell anyone and you kept asking. It was easier to lie."

"To your best friend?" he demanded. "You never lie to me!"

Angela stood up at this, "I am going to leave you two to hash this out." She glanced at the pair, "Tryouts are tomorrow morning. If you're late, you're out."

Sirius gaped at this, "You let a dictator become Captain!"

"Hey!" James exclaimed. "That's my sister you're talking about."

Angela rolled her eyes as she made her way up to her room. It was odd, always entering an empty room. She was used to America and Daisy to be rummaging around or to see their belongings scattered across the room. It used to bother her but she would welcome it now.

She closed the door behind her with a sigh of relief. She found being around people to be exhausting. Truthfully, she would lay in bed all day if that were an option. But it wasn't. Instead she got up everyday and existed, just like everyone else.

"Angel," someone spoke and she jumped, pulling her wand out quickly. "Hey, woah," Regulus said, his hands up, "It's just me. You don't need that." She didn't budge and he hesitated, "You have every right-"

"Get out."

"Let me explain-"

"No!" she exclaimed, lowering her wand, "You don't deserve an explanation. I am through sitting here and letting you explain why you did what you did. I am not going to let you make me feel bad for something you did. That's not my job anymore."

"Angel, I'm not here for me," he explained quickly and she narrowed her eyes but allowed him to continue, "When I went to Transfiguration class after I was with you, Crouch and some of the guys cornered me. They said they knew my secret and they were prepared to do something about it if they had to." He glanced up at the door warily before continuing, "They want to hurt you. Not just hurt - kill you, if they can."

"I know," Angela replied, crossing her arms over her chest. "They've wanted me dead since the moment they knew I existed. Long before you and I happened."

"This is different," he shook his head. "Before they were restricted by rules. They couldn't do anything, no matter how much they may have wanted to."

"Rules?" Angela scoffed. "Crouch tried to kill me after he lost our duel! I hardly think he was concerned with rules."

"It's not just him now," he explained. "It's all of them. He was upset when you got away. I had never seen him that angry before. He basically gave them full permission to do whatever they needed to eliminate you. He thinks you're a threat."

"He?" she repeated in confusion. "You mean V-"

"No!" Regulus exclaimed and Angela took a step back in surprise. "I told you! You can't say his name."

"Why not?" Angela shook his head. "I'm not scared of him. And I'm certainly not scared of his name."

"You should be," he countered. "You don't get it. He's far more dangerous than any wizard to ever exist. Including Grindelwald. And he had an Obscurial. If he has his sights set on you, he will get you. I can promise you that."

"So if I'm so doomed, why do you even bother?" Angela asked in confusion.

"Because I can't lose you."

She hesitated, slipping her wand away as she paced the room. "So they're going to try to kill me?"

"It's a high probability."

"And they want you to help?"

"Yes."

"Are you going to?"

His eyes widened, "What?"

She paused her pacing in thought, "You should."

"No, I can't-"

"You said it yourself, Reg," she shook her head, "I'm screwed no matter what."

"I can't hurt you," he countered and she sent him a look, "This is different."

"You won't have to," she shook her head. "But you'll know what they're planning, right?" He hesitated, "Regulus, this isn't about me keeping my head down anymore. You said it yourself. So are you going to help me or not?"