44 | mithridatism

Angela stared at the items that sat in front of her. She had at least a dozen poisonous potion ingredients in front of her, ranging from venomous tentacula to cowbane. She couldn't be more careful.

After Regulus informed her that the Death Eaters were out for her head, she realized she needed to take any and all preventive measures. And that just so happened to include slowly poisoning herself so that if they poisoned her, she wouldn't get hurt.

Or at least not more hurt then she was accustomed.

It took her a while to gather everything but it wasn't until the incident at Hogsmeade weekend that she realized she had to be on top of it.

"Oh, thank Merlin," Angela muttered as the warm butterbeer was placed in her hands. She joined her brothers across the room, taking a seat next to James.

Angela caught Regulus's eye from across the room just as she was about to touch the beverage to her lips. His eyes were wide and he shook his head ever so slightly and she frowned, glancing down at the drink.

She placed it down on the table, joining the boys in their conversation once the others had arrived. She could see Regulus leaving a moment later and that's when she took a moment to look around and she noticed that they were there. Barty Crouch Junior was watching them a little too eagerly.

Angela wasn't sure what to do as she stared at her drink. She lifted it to her lips, careful to make sure it never actually touched as she tried to think of a plan.

"You're totally off the point, Sirius," Angela interrupted and the boys seemed surprised that the girl was even listening. Her hand holding the mug moved to the side of her, no longer over the table as she continued, "It's not about who you want to win, it's about who will win. And honestly, your team sucks." She went to place the mug down but seeing she was no longer holding it above the table, it merely slipped from her grasp, falling to the floor.

The mug shattered between her and Peter. The two stood up quickly as the hot beverage splattered over them and Angela fell into her brother who caught with ease. "Merlin, Ang, what's the matter with-" the comment died in his throat when he saw the irritated look on Crouch's face from across the room. He laughed, "Always such a clutz." He stood up, holding his sister's arm protectively. "We'll have to get one for you to go, we have to get back to the castle before it's too late."

Angela nodded in agreement, grateful for her brother's ability to deter a situation. Sirius glanced around the room, connecting the dots on his own. "We should really get mum to take her to the doctor," he suggested, "It could be chronic."

She narrowed her eyes at the boy and she heard to force herself not to smile in appreciation, "I'd hex if it were allowed." She turned to Peter, "I'm so sorry Pete, I could have sworn I was setting it on the table but I guess my hand-eye coordination could be better."

"Oh, it's alright," he huffed as he wiped at his now soaked pant leg. "It only hurt for a moment anyway."

Angela apologized to the waiter and paid to replace the mug before the group left the building, the Slytherin's glares burning into their backs. Sirius swung his arm over Angela's shoulder and she rested her head on his arm. "Thank you," she muttered and he kissed the top of her head gently.

"Oh, anything for you, Ang," he replied simply. He caught sight of his brother across the way and frowned.

She shook the memory from her head as she chopped and poured everything she would have to take for the week, placing them in separate vials so it would be easier. She sucked in a breath before she quickly took everything, forcing herself to swallow no matter how much she wanted to spit it all out.

After a moment, she placed her other vials in a drawer before standing up. She grew lightheaded as she stumbled toward her bed, falling on top of the covers and not bothering to change as sleep overtook her.