26 | acts of betrayal

As planned, Angela had spent the first two weeks of the summer holidays at Daisy's house. Because of this, she was able to ignore her brother's and his friend's letter by merely closing the windows and doors in the house. She also told Daisy's parents that she was allergic to owls for good measure.

It worked.

But now it was time for her to go to Diagon Alley and meet up with America which meant it was time for her to go home. It was going to happen at some point but that doesn't mean she has to be happy about it.

Daisy and Angela made their way through a virtually empty Diagon Alley. It was a ghost town.

As time went on, the war seemed to be getting worse. And people were starting to notice. Because of this, it was suggested that people stay home or just overall be careful. This meant most wouldn't wander the shops until school started up again.

Some may even decide not to attend school.

They eventually found America standing by Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour, rocking back and forth rather anxiously which was odd for the girl.

Daisy immediately hugged her but Angela stayed behind her, the three of them taking a seat at a table. "It's so quiet," Daisy observed and Angela shifted in her seat. America glanced around nervously, "It's weird."

Angela couldn't help but notice how odd America had been acting throughout their conversation. She was constantly scanning the area, as though she were expecting someone to pop up out of nowhere.

Everyone was so paranoid that there was no one around. They should have had nothing to worry about. So what the hell was America looking for?

"I should get going," Angela decided as she stood up. The plan was to head back home instead of to Daisy's. But the funny thing about plans is that they don't usually work out the way you expect. "Come on, Daisy," she said, "I'll walk you back to Muggle London."

"Wait!" America exclaimed. Angela turned to her in confusion and Daisy turned as well. "It's just - we haven't been here very long, you know? I thought we could-"

"Okay, that's it," Angela huffed, "What is going on?"

"What? Nothing, nothing," she shook her head frantically. Her gaze flickered behind Angela for a moment, "You know what? You're right. We should go. You should go. I can walk Daisy to London. You don't have to worry about it."

Angela raised an eyebrow, "Wha-"

America sucked in a breath and Angela faltered when she saw tears in the girl's eyes, "I am so sorry." And then everything went black.