17 | private lessons

"Just for the record, I never said that," Regulus informed the girl as he sorted through a stack of books.

She laughed, "You totally did."

The two had decided to resume their private lessons per Angela's request. Regulus was reluctant given how things had ended last time but they ultimately agreed to avoid certain topics of conversation. Sirius, Voldemort and blood status. It kept things safe.

Or safeish.

He narrowed his eyes slightly but let the topic drop, allowing her to win. This time. He handed her a book.

"I thought we were going to work on Occlumency today?" Angela asked as she looked down at a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.

"We are," he nodded, "When someone is going to break into your mind, they're going to do it when you're distracted. For example, when you're reading a book you barely understand."

"I've read this book before."

"Friendly reminder, we had Care of Magical Creatures together in third year."

Her nose scrunched up and he smiled slightly as she said, "Shut up."

"It'll be hard to teach you if I can't talk but if you can read minds..."

"Reg!" she exclaimed and he grinned. "Come on, let's do this. James has the Quidditch pitch booked in an hour and if I'm late to practice he'll kill me."

Regulus rolled his eyes before he took a seat on the couch, "When you feel it - and you'll know when it's happening - try and void yourself of emotion. If you can't do that for whatever reason, try and manipulate your memories. Show only what won't get you - or others - in trouble." Angela nodded as she opened the book, "Go on, start reading."

Angela did as told and opened the book. As she began reading, she couldn't help but wonder if he was going easier on her to- She gasped as a memory she hadn't thought about in quite some time rose to the surface.

Euphemia bent down so she was crouching in front of Angela. The woman appeared much younger than she was now despite the memory only having been about three years ago. She raised her thumb and wiped tears away from the girl's face.

"People break up," the elder woman explained. "Not every relationship is destined for happily ever after."

"But mommy, he loved her!" Angela exclaimed. "They were supposed to get married and have kids and be happy! Like you and daddy!"

Euphemia frowned, "I know sweetheart, but they were young." She stood up and crossed the room, bringing a book back with her. "Here. Not everything ends how you imagine it will and you should never build your life around a boy."

Angela took the book from her mother and looked down. Romeo and Juliet.

Angela shook her head, overwhelmed by the memory.

"You didn't even try," Regulus accused. She looked up in slight confusion and she couldn't get a read on what he was thinking.

"Sorry," she apologized, "I was just surprised."

"No one will warn you."

"I know," she huffed. "I'm sorry, I have to go," she said as she stood up gathering her things. He grew confused at this, standing up as well, "I really can't be late for Quidditch."

"Angel, wait-" he called after her but she was already gone.